Monday, 22 February 2010

Monday Male

Meet Brian Miller who is a fellow blogger that I visit often.  His poetry inspires me.  Brian is very happily married and is dad of two gorgeous and adventurous boys.

My life is a storybook, and most likely yours is as well. Its all in how we tell it. I like mine as an Action / Adventure / Romance?  I have lived, loved, lost and when I was not expecting it, love found me.



At the time, she was a ballerina and I was getting out of the hospital from trying to run myself into the ground with bad lifestyle choices. She walked through the door and I turned to the friend next to me and told him I was going to marry her one day. We kissed in the snow and exchanged numbers written in orange colored pencil because that is all we could find.


Somehow, this led me to dancing in the Nutcracker, though I will never admit to wearing tights. Really I did not, it was billowy Arabian guard pants with just a little vest off the shoulders. Sorry no pictures survived. Dancing together did wonders for our early relationship though?


heat &
rhythm
tease at the
edge of me, as she
lays against my chest,
sliding along my arms, until
only our fingertips touch, carrying
the spark, then spinning away, takes
my breathe with her, prancing, begging chase,
i am helplessly but to pursue my
swan princess, dancing
en pointe upon my
heart leaving
rhythm &
heat.

Passion is something that seems to wane in so many marriages. Its not all physical, but you can't really lose that either. On a regular basis, I try to find new ways to show my wife how much she means to me, whether it's a note, or writing about her or even doing the dishes (gasp). It is all about the pursuing. She is the best thing that ever happened to me and should be treated that way.


Currently I am a therapist with kids that are at risk of being removed from their home. Every day is a new challenge so it keeps it interesting. I worked in the corporate world for many years in management and training and also worked for the church. All of my jobs, in some way, have revolved around helping people.


It's my superhero complex.  But really, no tights.


I started Waystationone about 17 months ago. The first 6 to 7 months I was just vomiting facts about my life which I'll admit was rather boring. I decided to start telling stories from my life to one day share with my boys in hopes that they can glean some wisdom.  About 90 to 95% of my blog posts are true stories of my family and people I have met.


Everyone has to find their own style and voice though.


Along the way, a few friends have joined my journey, which I am eternally thankful.  It is amazing to me the friendships that can develop between people that have never met beyond the blogosphere.  Like any relationship though, these don't just happen.  You have to work at it.


Many of my best blog friends were met through Theme Thursday or Flash 55.


On nice days, you will usually find me in the woods or off on some adventure with T and the boys, my notebook in my back pocket to collect the stories.  I also enjoy reading and I am working on my first book right now.  If there is anything I hope you get out of a visit to the waystation, it is that we really are much the same.  Our stories may be different, but we have faced many of the same challenges and as we walk together, maybe we can help each other avoid the potholes.


Hope to see you soon.


Thanks Gillian for the honor of being your Monday Male!

If you love poetry, visit his blog and leave a comment or two.

42 comments:

cat said...

Loving this series Gilz.

Tracy said...

Love Brian and his work! Thanks for featuring him here.

ShAKirA CHOONG said...

Brian, YOU ROCK!

It is so sweet of Gillian to do this.

hugs
shakira

becky said...

Nice info about Brian. Love the poetry up there as well!Im so glad to know you dont wear tights Brian,LOL

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

What a great idea for a series! And I love Brian - the love he has for his wife knows no bounds, and his eloquent words are always a favorite of mine to read. :)

Brian Miller said...

thanks again gillian, was much fun...dropped a piece on my site as well this AM to send people your way...

Lorenzo said...

To Brian and Gillian:

Beautiful post, background story and poem. I was especially taken by your recounting that the first time you ever saw the woman who would become your future wife you instantly told your friend that you would marry her some day. You see, the same exact thing happened with my parents over half a century ago, when he, an American, transplanted to Venezuela, and she, a Spaniard likewise emigrated to Venezuela, first came across each other. He walked into a party with his friend, saw the beautiful 16 year old, and confided to his friend "I'm going to marry that girl".

And he did. If these things were not true, they would strain credulity beyond repair. Nice to see a second instance of this.

TechnoBabe said...

Very nice to come here and read the spotlight is finally on Brian. His writing is from his soul and pours out over the blogosphere with more emotion than I can even grasp. Wonderful post, Gillian!!!

sheila said...

Very beautiful Brian. I've gotten to know about you in this post than I have visiting your blog, lol.

Amy said...

Stopping by from Brian's place. I like that you honor the men out there in the blogging world. That is just amazing. I really enjoyed reading more about Brian. What a love story.. Have a great day..

Thanks for having me over here at your blog..

Have a great day ..

Nessa said...

This was really nice, Brian. I enjoyed getting to know more about you and your family. Your stories are always a joy to read.

Mad Hatter

Ms Hen said...

Gillian, I've been reading Brian's blog for months and months.. I never so much about him besides he was an incredible husband; father; and so sweet to all of us bloggers with positive comments.

Brian that is so nice you are a therapist for children.., wonderful career.. heart touching..!!!

And you wife was a ballerina.. how poetic.. sweet couple.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

He sure does have a way with words. He's one of the only ones who can make me laugh and cry in one post.

His wife and family are lucky to know him in real life. He's a great man all the way around and a great bloggy friend.

This is a beautiful post for a wonderful man, Gillian. I'll be passing out a beautiful award later tonight and I already know that I'm giving it to you and 4 others. Have a great week! See you later!

Hugs!!

JStar said...

Great post! Brian does have a way with words. I am in awe of his writing...

5thsister said...

I was late coming to Brian's blog so never knew the background story. Amazing. His devotion is refreshing. I knew I liked him for a reason!

Matty said...

Brian has a talent for taking real life and putting it into prose. I envy him.

Betsy said...

Gillian ~ thanks for featuring Brian on your blog...I follow him daily and he's a wonderful guy.

Protege said...

Beautiful. Wonderful story from a wonderful guy. He is my proof of happy endings and fairy tales come true.
I found you through a link at his place, love the picture in your header.;)
xo
Zuzana

Angie Muresan said...

Gillian, what a great idea this is! I love getting the male perspective. I have just a week or so ago met Brian and I am astounded at his poetry.

subby said...

Heh, heh...Brian's never been boring...the imagery he can cause to materialise in one is incredible...congrats to Brian on being selected and congrats to you Gillian, for the interview done well :)

Suldog said...

Brian is a really nice fellow, and you must be nice if you're featuring him! Thanks!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I am a HUGE Brian fan boarding on being a groupie :-) This is my first visit to your blog and he was a great choice for this feature.

And I learned something new-- Working on a book was music to my ears. Brian is so talented and I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Nice to meet you, I'll be back again soon.
Cheers,
jj

AmyLK said...

I love brians stories! AWESOME!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Brian's is one of the few blogs I look forward to reading every day! :)

Brian Miller said...

aw shucks...i'm blushing now...lol.

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Great Series! Of course, Brian is FANTASTIC too!!!

Six Feet Under Blog said...

Love this idea! I just found Brian through a fellow blogger friend. I never know what I'll find when I visit! I recommend visiting his blog-I'm sure you'll make a great friend. :)

Bernie said...

Hi Gillian, so nice to meet you. I love what you are doing here, we do not have many male bloggers and for you to have an appreciation day is great.
Brian as I usually I go away feeling your wife has the best husband and your boys the best father in the world. Good Luck on your book....:-) Hugs

Thanks again Gillian, xo

Monkey Man said...

Nice feature. Brian, as he usually does, masterfully spun a tale that will bring smiles and let people know a bit about him. Thanks Gillian and Brian.

Jessie said...

i'm going to come by and visit again. this was really interesting. Brian is a very gifted writer, his blog is off the charts!

until my next visit,
warm smiles,

Tom said...

excellant...it's good to know more about Brian...a great writer. Glad to hear of the book, that's quite a goal to set, but am sure it will a good one!

Nancy said...

So nice to get to know you better, Brian. You are a terrific writer and a soulful man. I am so happy you have a mate that matches your good energy.

Gillian - thank you for providing this access to other writers. It is very generous of you!

Hilary said...

Brian is a sweetie for sure. Like Zuzana said, he is the epitome of a true romantic, a fantastic writer and a really nice guy. Thanks for featuring our bloggie friend. :)

Mighty M said...

I love Brian's blog and it is no nice to learn more about him here!!

otin said...

Brian is one of the good spirits in the blogging community! He lives mostly on the positive side of life. A necessary place for someone to dwell in these times of much negativity!

only a movie said...

What a lovely profile. Brian is a gifted writer and I'm happy that he is in my bloggy community.

corvedacosta said...

This is a beautiful post. I enjoy Brian's blog and enjoyed reading this

Ronda Laveen said...

Gillian, wonderful Monday Male!

Brian, better of tucked up in tights than hangin' around without...I always say.

JennyMac said...

Love the idea Gillian..and Brian is so incredibly talented. :) Great pick.

järnebrand said...

Wow, Gillian, this is really sweet of you. I am a new blogger in a new world and I have only followed Brians blog for a month or so, but I really enjoy reading his posts and I admire the way he always takes the time to write nice and positive comments to blogs that he reads. It is so nice of you to put him in the spotlight like this, he really deserves the attention. :)
Love/ Jo.

Tracie said...

Brian is one of the best writers in the Blogosphere. His talent shines through whether he is telling a story about his childhood adventures or writing a love poem to his wife. And he's a heck of a commentor too.

♥ Braja said...

Well now THIS is backwards :) I'm meeting you thru Brian, not vice versa :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails