![]() |
| Courtesy of Cars |
Check this out!
Just over a decade ago South Africans were paying 339% less for petrol.
In August 2004, unleaded fuel on the reef was priced at R4.00 a litre, with diesel at R3.29.
On average, the price has gained nearly one ZAR a year, but the jumps have been erratic.
There was a brief period of respite from August 2008 to August 2009, when the price dropped by nearly R2.50. But since then, it has almost doubled to new highs seen this month.
Time for us middle-class folks to go green and go electric or face debt review?
| The Segway |
Or we could Segway our way around town.
What do you think?
Go Hybrid or Go Broke?
Sponsored Post myscoop.co.za

11 comments:
It's insane how much prices have jumped. The Arab nations insist they need seventy dollars a barrel to survive, but fifteen years ago they were doing just fine on seventeen dollars.
I recently tried riding a Segway.. fun but not a viable alternative to a car in my opinion! It's quite hard to control and all based on your centre of gravity, so your weight leaning forwards and back. I was wobbling all over the place but amazingly didn't fall off...
Well, we try to drive as little as possible. Next week, I will start biking to school with my kids. And we own one hybrid.
Interesting post Lass. I guess if petrol companies aren't too greedy then it's possible that we could cause prices to drop if we all keep switching to hybrids. I hope that petrol isn't taking too much money out of you guys but if a hybrid would make that cheaper in the long run then I'd say to go with it!
Dunno what a Segway runs on, but I see people using them and it looks easy, guess you have to learn and practice same as driving a car.
Until we can come up with a viable alternative, the petroleum nations have got us over a barrel. Even in Canada, where we have lots of gas, we are paying through the nose for it and selling it to the US.
I have seen one segway. Pretty cool. I have a low gas guzler. Hybrid, if they made them cool looking.
We had to buy a car in April. Our old one finally died and we had no choice. Bought a Toyota Yaris. We get between 30 and 35 mpg, which is REALLY good.
Did not consider a hybrid, they're very expensive, the repairs for one are also outrageous, and they seem to have a great deal of mechanical problems, too.
Hybrids use batteries. The battery manufacturing process is filthy and horrible for the environment, but the new age fern sniffers don't SEE the batteries being made, so they feel righteous driving hybrids. They stick their noses in the air and tell us how they're protecting the environment AND using less fuel!!!
My husband has an electric car, which is fabulous.
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com
@Alex we can't see to keep up! Everything goes up and yet our salaries remain the same.
@Nat a new way of staying fit, I reckon.
I guess we need to just buy bicycles
Post a Comment