Monday, 31 December 2012

Daft Days Are Over... Time For Blogmanay

Happy Hogmanay, beautiful Plonkers.

Get yer kilts oot, us Scots sure know how to party!

Hogmanay is the Scottish celebration of New Years Eve and can sometimes last for days. It is believed the Scots inherited the celebration of Hogmanay from the Vikings and their celebration of the shortest day. I think today Hogmanay is a good excuse to have a wee dram (Johnny Walker whisky) and munch down on shortbread and stovies*

In our house Hogmanay traditions were the taking out the ashes from the fire and making sure all your debts are cleared with friends before "The Bells" at midnight. The kids got to stay up until midnight partying with the adults so there was great excitement and competitions of who could stay up the latest. I never frikken won!

Immediately after midnight, it was tradition to join crossed hands with everyone in our house and sing Robert Burns' "Auld Lang Syne" in yer best drunken slur. It was also traditional to welcome any guests, friends or strangers into your home with warm hospitality and a kiss.

We used to wait for the "First Footing" (that is the first foot in the door after midnight) usually a male, dark and should bring a lump of coal. We would wish them "Lang May Yer Lum Reek!", which means may you live long and well. In other words, Prosperity. The lump of coal meaning that if you can afford coal, you can make fire, to cook and to keep warm.

Mum would make her homemade shortbread by the pokefull and serve whisky and black bun. A guid ol' sing-song by everyone into the wee hours of the morning.

Och aye, Hogmonay was big in oor wee hoose. Dead Brilliant!

Lang May Yer Lum Reek, Plonkers!

Happy 2013 may it be the best one yet.


Photobucket

Link up with XmasDolly for Monday Music Moves Me. Today's theme is this year's best songs or post the rockin-est song you know.  Jack's record has been nominated for three Grammy's Album of the Year for Blunderbuss, Best Rock Album and Best Rock Song of the Year for "Freedom at 21".  Here is my favourite song from the record.


”Photobucket”border=”0


*Stovies is made by boiling potatoes and onions together and serving it seasoned with butter and a little corned beef.


19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Is it all right if I just have Champagne and watch some stunt man risk his life in Vegas on New Year's Eve?

Kim @ This Belle Rocks said...

Oh, awesome! Jack White makes another list! Hey, guess what? He lives in Nashville, and that's only two hours from me!!! I should totally stalk. And I probably would if I had the time and money!

The Glebe Blog said...

Far frae my hame I wander, but still my thoughts return
To my ain folk ower yonder, in the shieling by the burn.
I see the cosy ingle, and the mist abune the brae:
And joy and sadness mingle, as I list some auld-warld lay.

Chorus
And it's oh! but I'm longing for my ain folk,
Tho' they be but lowly, puir and plain folk:
I am far beyond the sea, but my heart will ever be
At home in dear auld Scotland, wi' my ain folk.
O' their absent ane they're telling, the auld folk by the fire:
And I mark the swift tears welling, as the ruddy flame leaps high'r.
How the mither wad caress me, were I but by her side:
Now she prays that Heav'n will bless me, tho' the stormy seas divide.
A HAPPY NEW YEAR from SCOTLAND

~Sia McKye~ said...

I could never stay up long either but it sure was fun trying. Our family always let the kids stay up past midnight. My brother Rob keeps the tradition of a family party with singing, dancing, and drinks. He always has a nesting place for the kids in the corner by the bar he has in his pool/party house. Made up of mounds of blankets and pillows and usually a pile of kids.

This year, we'll forgo the party since the weather is bad--we're in the middle of a icy snowstorm so we won't be traveling an hour to the family. I can guarantee I'll get a phone call just before midnight to with Rob on the other end and the rest of the family singing. They all live within a mile or less of each other.

I'd love to have any shortbread recipes you'd like to pass on. I've tried and tried and I never seem to get the buttery goodness right. Sigh..

Happy New Year and Lang May Yer Lum Reek!

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

I love the idea of ashes for the past and coal for the porsperity of the future! Singing after drinking too much is always fun too. All the best to you too in 2013!
A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between

Xmasdolly said...

Hey Girlfriend: That was fun to learn the different customs. My dad use to say a spoonful of peas, a taste of (oh dam can't remember the fish he use to eat now - sorry), but let's say a bite of fish and a silver dollar in one hand would bring you good health and money in the new year! Well enough for old wives tales. We usually just bring our New Years Eve with Dick Clark. Too many drunks on the street for me & Dave is working today besides. Here's to ya my friend! Here's hoping you and yours have a healthy, prosperous and a most Happy New Year! ROCK ON & Here's to luvin your face off all next year too!!! YOU ROCK!

Althea said...

I've not had stovies in ages! Now you've got me in the mood for them! The end of your post made me think of The Broons, haha! Happy New Year!!

Lucy said...

Happy New Year! And, the more I hear Jack White the more I really like him!!!

Colette S said...

Thanks for rocking with us!

Happy New Year to you!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@ColetteS thanx for popping by!

@Lucy I'm going to convert everyone one person at a time! :-)

@Althea remember to take a pictures and send it to me!

@Xmas Dolly Happy New Year to You too, my friend.

@Sia I'll post my shortbread recipe soon!



A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Kim can I come and visit and we can stalk together?

@Alex Nothing wrong with that.

@TheGlebeBlog Beautiful words.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Tracy will visit soon.

YeamieWaffles said...

I love the concept of the Scottish New Year celebrations, nobody celebrates it like the Scottish do in all honesty. Great post Lass, really hope you had a great new year's eve and that 2013 is good to you.

Paula Wooters said...

A lovely tradition! Now, if only I could stay up long enough to enjoy it!

Akelamalu said...

Happy New Year!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Awesome choice - thanks for playing and Happy New Year! :)

What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve My Dear Acquaintance Happy New Year – Welcome To The Future of Auld Lang Syne

Cathy Kennedy said...

I love reading about customs from far away lands, which happens to be where many of my ancestors are from, ya know being largely Scottish-Irish myself.

Thanks for dancing with us on Monday's Music Moves Me and may you & yours be blessed with much happiest, health, and prosperity in the New Year!

JoeinVegas said...

We had 300,000 visitors (plus a few locals) down on the Strip, nothing near New York's Times Square crowd but we had fireworks off of a dozen big hotels instead of a glass ball.
There was a big party downtown under the big screen, with tens of thousands (lots of locals), a half dozen assorted bands, some big name groups and free champagne.
We just went to bed at 11. Sometimes we go out on the front yard (no lawn any more) and watch the fireworks down on the Strip.
Happy New Year!

G-Man said...

Lassie...
My Lum dunna reek.
I had a bath you saucy wench.
Missin you Jildo....G

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails