My Sister In Law, Ronel, gave me the number of a Child Psychologist in Brackenhurst who she recommends very much. She's had dealings with her and she says she's great.
I must admit I would prefer Kaylin to see a woman - it might seem a little less intimidating for KK who battles to interact with strangers as it is. I think it might take a while for Kaylin to trust her and for the psychologist to get anything out of her.
We have an appointment for this Saturday afternoon as she's going away on holiday for a while. She wants to see Riaan and I first for an hour obviously to get some background on us and for us to explain to her Kaylin's behavioural problems. Kaylin will then see her for half an hour after our session.
Wish us luck and I will keep you posted.
Just another thought, while I'm here...something that occured to me and that I noticed over the weekend...
Kaylin doesn't show any behavioural problems when we go to friends or family. She potters around with her sister or by herself quite happily doing her own thing. She doesn't get up to mischief, no tantrums, no whining. She obviously comes to me every now and then to see where I am and what I'm doing and to tell me if she needs to go to the bathroom or if she's thirsty or hungry.
On Sunday when we were at my family for lunch she was a happy chappy until the second we got home. The minute she got inside she starting whining to change her clothes, crying for Milo and when she came to ask me to come with her to the toilet, I said "Go ahead Kaylin I'm coming". (I just wanted to put all my bags down) By the time I got to the bathroom she'd half wet her pants. Something she doesn't do when we're out or at someone's house.
Why is it that she only behaves this way at home?
In my mind, there is obviously something at home that she is not happy about and cannot communicate to us properly.
I am puzzled by this as its normally when children are out of their "comfort zone" that they play up and misbehave. With KK its the opposite. This really makes me feel bad as if she doesn't want to be at home and is not comfortable there.
2 comments:
Gillian reading your post made me realise that maybe I should take Lemon too. You could have described her!
Good luck and kup!
i dont think it's got anything to do with her not 'liking home'....maybe she sees you relaxing / 'gearing down' when you get home , and wants you still to be the life of the party !
och , she just wants attention ( you said she 'checks in on you' while you're out at friends ) and stimulation ...
what activity does she like to do BY HERSELF (without Mum the playmate)?
...all these wee things popped into my head from remebering Ryan's younger days ( now he's a difficult teenager , not a difficult toddler !)
remember too , KK is 3rd generation 'strong-willed' Scot..the family battle of wills - think me & ma Dad , me & Ryan.....now it's you & KK !
Post a Comment