Thursday, 22 August 2013

I Bear A Charmed Life

From Shakespeare's Macbeth, 1605.
Thou losest labour: 
As easy mayst thou the intrenchant air
With thy keen sword impress as make me bleed:
Let fall thy blade on vulnerable crests;
I bear a charmed life, which must not yield, 
To one of woman born..
We are often so wrapped up in living day-to-day. 

The mundane tasks that we do daily – getting the kids ready for school, making and packing lunches, fetching and carry to and from school and all their after-school activities, cooking supper, cleaning up, nagging to everyone to pick up their stuff... 

On top of that, we have to make quality time for our partner, our family and friends and keep them happy too (the list goes on and on). 

I’ve been at the point recently, where this was all I saw. I felt this was all I experienced.  I was burning out.

I crumbled and broke.   This SuperMum had to admit that she needed help.

I sobbed.  I sat silently staring into space.  I ventured into a dark place.  I took some time off work to reflect and collect my thoughts.  

I eventually came to the conclusion that I wanted to encounter the little things in life that make a difference.  To be able to stop, breathe and feel the moment.  To not feel so overwhelmed all the time.

I felt that I was on full speed, full volume and out of control - all the time.  

I asked for help.  My awesome Boerewors stepped in and look charge.

Experts say we should all take 20 to 30 minutes a day for ourselves. Time where you have no distractions, no interruptions and do what YOU want to do? 

First, WTF do you find half an hour to sit quietly on your own? And what the hell do you do if you do find the 30 minutes to yourself? 

Don’t you wish you could take 30 years off your life and go back to being a kid again where you have no worries, no responsibilities? 

The only thing you worry about when you’re a kid, is convincing your parents that is not that necessary to bath and how you’re going to get out of doing homework. 

I need to reflect, but when do you get the time? 

At work where there are no kids to whine and nag? 

At home where you could lie in the bath for half an hour (with the kids banging on the door, because they need to pee?) 

Am I blind to the small things in life that I need to be grateful for? 
Like my health, the fact that I have great friends, all ten fingers and toes, that I have a home, a car, a job, a wonderful husband and two great kids? 

Am I greedy to want more? 

Am I selfish to want to find something to give me purpose?

The answer wasn't find something that gives me purpose.  The answer was simple.  Counting my blessings and appreciating the small things in life.  

Getting into a warm bed at night, puting my head on my duck down pillow, laughter, getting in a hot bubble bath, fresh clean towels, being silly, a pair of beautiful high heeled shoes, a fluffy pair of socks, conversations with friends. 

Appreciate the Little Things.  We don't all have to brew creativity and success and put goals and timelines on our life.  Oh, I don't know those who do, but at the moment, for me.  I'm appreciating the same things.

It makes me fuzzy and content. 



A Happy Daft Scots Lass in her fake 6 inch Christian Louboutins



9 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

Good for you! I don't think I'm ever really content.

middle child said...

Let's see....12 pairs of shoes...ok, I can't decide. I will take them all please!

It is normal to get tired of the same old-same old. But then when we look around at all we do have to be grateful for...you are on the right track.

ps: Size 8 ok?

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Andrew and why is that?

@middle child. RSA size 4½

YeamieWaffles said...

This post has made me really happy Lass, I remember you said that you had been feeling a little blue so I'm overjoyed that things are finally kicking back into action, I can never get enough of your jumping photo, you look like a celebrity, and not a trashy one either!

Not So Simply Single said...

Damn, I like ALL THOSE SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially the green snake ones and the red with a red rose.

Andrew Leon said...

Probably because, to sort of put in pop culture lingo, I'm always working toward the "next level."

Jo said...

Sounds like you got the answer.

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

30 minutes? I need a lot longer than that a day. But then I'm an introvert and I need my alone time to recharge.

The Glebe Blog said...

Trouble is, if I take off thirty years I'm still a middle aged git.

In my case for 'Fuzzy and Content' read 'Knackered and Spent'.

Hope I make my 70th birthday next month!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails