Saturday, 21 September 2013

When last did you hug your Mum?

So, when was the last time you gave your mum a bear hug?

It's been over a year since I was in the physical presence of my Mum.  I miss her so much.  Last year August, I flew down for a weekend alone and spent not even a handful of days with her.  It was brilliant.  We chatted, we giggled, we drank tea, we went shopping, we cooked, we cleaned and watched telly together.

We just hung out.

I miss that.

Especially, after my Father In Law passed away recently...

...it's got me thinking that I would gladly drive 800km just to sit beside my mum for a day. I'd drive all that way just for a cuddle.  There is absolutely nothing like a warm embrace from your mum that makes you feel blessed and invigorated....and like a 8 year old girl.

Even at 40 plus *cough cough* I still want my mum when I'm ill.  I still want her to feel my forehead and bring me sweet black tea.  When I'm feeling stressed or emotional, I still want her to hold me tight and tell me everything is going to be okay.  When I'm feeling out of control and frustrated, I hear her words and voice in my head.  She is telling me to calm down, warning me that losing my quick temper never got me anywhere.

So sensible, so wise, so strong and so full of love.

If you have the luxury of having your mum living close to you - you are truly blessed.  If your mum is present in your children's lives - I envy you.  If you have the kind of mum that babysits when you want to pop out to the shops - do not take it for granted.  Don't complain that they irritate you or get on your nerves.  You are incredibly blessed to have them close to you.

Go give your mum a hug.

Thank her for giving you the best gift in the world....unconditional love.

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wonderful words for your mother. Shame she can't move closer.
My mother lives several states away but I see her once or twice a year. I'm the youngest, so yeah, I am mama's boy.

YeamieWaffles said...

This post is just amazing Lass. I already really really love and appreciate my mum as it is but this has made me love this post even more. I hope that you get to hug your mum soon!

Paula said...

The last time I hugged my mom was in 2005. I hugged her hard and told her good-bye as my husband and I left the next morning to go to Galvaston Texas to board our ship for a Caribbean cruise. Very sadly she died while we were out of the country. Nothing is guaranteed us. Love them while you have them!!

J.Day said...

Mom and I have been doing a lot of bear hugs this week as her dad just passed away this week. It's been pretty rough, but we're getting through. Lots of hugs and tears.

But when I have lived in different cities away from home, so many times I missed my mom and her hugs. There really is nothing like a mom hug. They are pretty much the best things in the world.

Chrissy Starr said...

So true. I lost my mother in 2011. She was a horrible pain in my ass but what I wouldn't do for another day with her.

Karin Copperwood said...

My mom lives just a short distance from where I live. We didn't get along when I was younger, but now that I am in my mid 40's she is my best friend. I wish we could have been this close 20 years ago! I can't imagine how hard it is to live so far from your mother, but your post inspired me to be more appreciative for how close my mother is. Thank you for that.

Bailey Schneider said...

I have a lump in my throat! I hope you get to see your mom soon!
I get homesick and miss my mom too - I'm so used to seeing her every single day, but since moving to CT it's been a huge adjustment. I still feel blessed that I see her once a month - and even that feels like ages apart!
Reading this just made me miss mom even more.
I hope you get to see each other soon soon soon!
BIG VIRTUAL HUG
xxx

Tami Von Zalez said...

I had the good fortune of being able to hug her when I visited her last month. I visit at least once a year, if not more often. Life is so precious.

Mina Lobo said...

Aw, I'm all snivelly now. :-)

I hugged my mom just a little while ago, before she headed to Newark airport for a flight to her native Portugal. She's terrified of flying (as am I) and as I hugged her I told her I'd say a prayer for her. Only I lied: I've already said several and will continue to appeal to The Big Guy for her well-being till I know she's arrived safely.

Damn, now I'm *really* snivelly.

Leah said...

I don't have my mum - she died 35 years ago. I still miss her every single day and would love to have her around to hang out with. BUT....I have two great daughters and I get to hang out with them and be the mum to them, that mine was to me xxxxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails