Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Worzel Gummidge

This morning a colleague mentioned that she had a head-ache.  I told her to just unscrew her head and put a different one on.  She giggled and then it reminded me of a TV programme I used to watch as a young girl on British Children's television in the late seventies.  Gosh, I'm showing my age now..

Worzel Gummidge and Aunt Sally.

Worzel was a walking, talking grubby scarecrow, who had a set of interchangeable heads - turnip, mangel worzel and swede heads - each of which suit a particular occasion or endow him with a specific skill.  He has mice living in his chest, he's obsessed with cake and he's forever trying to seduce a shop mannequin called Aunt Sally, with whom he is in love.

A bit dark and twisted for kids but it was still pretty cool

Can any of you remember this television show?

6 comments:

cat said...

Sounds like my type of show.

Brian Miller said...

interchangeable heads...nice.

Sausage Fingers said...

Hell yeah I remember this, it was on Sat. nights in Dundee and I loved it. Take a look at the blog I wrote called Basil Fawlty fights the Fonz. It was based on a discussion I had with my American wife over American and Brit t.v. shows.
cheers.

Mimi and Tilly said...

Yep! I watched it every week cos I thought Aunt Sally was beautiful, but it still scared the c**p out of me when Werzel screwed his head off. :)

Vicky said...

Yep I remember it :-) and I agree screwing his off was freaky!!

KK said...

NO and that is scary to me as an adult! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails