Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Nicotine Free, Day 3


So, My Boerewors and I quit smoking on the 2nd of January and its Day 3 without nicotine.

I must say, for me, its easier than I thought because I did stop smoking with both my pregnancies and I was a wee bit stupid, okay, a lot stupid to start up again. 

But I enjoy smoking, yes its true and most smokers will tell you the same thing.  I miss the whole process of lighting up. 

I know my Boerewors misses it more than I do because he was a heavier smoker than I was.  Boerewors was probably on between 15 and 20 ciggies a day.  I was about half of that even on a day when I was smoking a lot!
However, the Boereworsbut has only been smoking for 8 years.  I've been a casual social smoker on and off since I was about 16.  That's over 20 years!  You tell me what is worse...

Yeah, its become a habit...sitting outside on my porch to have a fag and natter, but I decided that the habit has nearly no positives.  Its dirty, stinky and bad for you!

Poisoned lungs by the chemicals, lower oxygen levels in the body, depleting the body of vitamin C, poor immune system, lower bone density, higher chances of getting cancer, heart-disease or  emphysema.

Now I need to find something to make it all easier...

Do I substitute it with something else like chewing gum or sucking a pencil?  How do I keep myself busy and not think of smoking?  What are the triggers that make me want to light one up?

Tell me how you did it.  Now I'm talking about someone who gave up smoking and succeeded.  I'm not talking about how many times you've given up.  The first month is easy its kicking the habit for good that I want the secret recipe to.

A Daft Scots Lass' tip to stop smoking: douse yourself in petrol every day!

21 comments:

yogurt said...

Hooray for you and your man!!

Something that helped me quit (10 years ago) was to visualize having to explain to my kids, husband, and other loved ones from my death bed, why I continued to smoke when I knew it causes cancer. Have you seen the movie, Terms of Endearment? The hospital scene with her kids? So I inserted a scene where my kids ask "Why did you keep smoking, Mom?" I guess you could say guilt was my friend in this quit smoking situation.

Not to say I don't relapse occasionally, usually at a party.

Blasé said...

Great News!

That stuff is just plain NASTY

Slamdunk said...

I admire you all's strength.

I have never been a smoker, but both my parents did. My poor mom died a painful death in her 50s--knowing how it ended she would have certainly tried harded to stop in her younger years.

Ami said...

I quit October 14, 1992.
Hardest thing I've ever done.

Eric switched to cinnamon toothpicks. Blistered his mouth. But he quit, too.

You can do this.

Here's what I said about it ages ago..

http://amimental.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-i-finally-quit-smoking.html

Copyboy said...

Good for you. Hmmm...I think Gum is your best bet.

Castor Troy said...

smoking is a filthy habit, after smoking a pack a day i quit cold turkey and been ciggarete free for a year now, all it takes is a little willpower.

Sandra said...

Well congrats on your success so far.
I was a smoker several years ago, and I too loved it. I loved the act of lighting up, the sucking in, even the smell.
But I quit cold turkey. Oddly, I replaced the cigarette with glasses of grapefruit juice. Have no idea why, but the cool, tart taste eased my cravings.
Good luck!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well Congrats..one day at a time! It isn't easy..it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. 18 months now cigarette free..I really miss it. I don't think there is a secret ..do what works for you..for me it was lots of water..gum..lots and lots of gum..and when the urge got really bad..and began to overwhelm me.. I grabbed a pen or a pencil..and pretended I was lighting it with a lighter and used it to simulate a cigarette..yes..nicotine is a powerful drug..LOL..you can do it!! :) Connie at Forgotten Old Photos

Major.Mack said...

gOOD work... dont crack.....I lasted till i woke up the next morning :)

And good Luck

Akelamalu said...

Pure Will Power and the real desire to give up smoking is the only answer. I gave up smoking on January 1st 13 years ago using that method.

Good luck honey and well done for making the effort you won't regret it - you'll be healthier and have more money!

blueviolet said...

It's so great you are doing this together. It'd be a lot harder if one was smoking and one wasn't. You can do it!

cat said...

Great going!I never liked to smoke - I hate the smell. The hubby still does stopped for years, but started again after the twins' birth.

David L Macaulay said...

sure - would be great to run one of your guest blogs - can you send me text or a link to maccaz17@hotmail.com

thanx
David

Suciô Sanchez said...

Can never stop too soon.

Sausage Fingers said...

Yikes.. good luck. Have you tried the vapor smokes?

Caren Gittleman said...

Congratulations! What method are YOU using?

I need to quit, you don't want to know how long I have been smoking.

Joker_SATX said...

Congrats! This Joker is impressed!

Justsayin' said...

Good luck. One thing to remember smoking ages the crap out of you be vain about it you don't want to look 20 years older than you are.

Max Evel said...

Smoking sucks!
I've been trying to stop for the last month.
No cold turkey... just taking a few hits when I really feel I need it .
I am down to a pack a week.
Keep it up :-)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I've substituted my fags for a cuppa tea. I'm just worried how I'm gonna burn off the spoon full of sugar in every cuppa. Then again I've got so much weight to loose as well but one thing at a time.

I got the e-cigarette a while ago but whats the point? Its still got nicotine in and its still the habit of hand to mouth and sucking with the vapour and all. Och you know what I mean. It doesn't really help you KICK the habit.

Cold turkey has worked for me.

I must say it hasn't been THAT bad for me yet. I haven't had really strong cravings but wait until I get the wine out with the girlfriends. That will be the REAL test.

Wish me luck!!

Not So Simply Single said...

* ***
*
*

My girlfriend died of emphysema 8 years ago. She didn't smoke cigarettes, but lots of pot. She was barely 57...so sad, and a really ugly death. Oxygen tank, barely could talk. It was gruesome witnessing this demise of a good friend. I inherited her lovely orange cat, Marilyn, so the memory of Manette lives on...

But I miss her...

Don't smoke, just one day at a time! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU ARE WORTH IT...and so damn beautiful!

Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails