Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Great Wall of Vagina

At home this week with pneumonia, taking it easy and surfing the net for all sorts of weird and whacky shite as usual,  I came across this project which has now turned into quite the event. 

Check it out!


The World Premiere Exhibition of Great Wall of Vagina is on at the studio where it was created until the end of June 2011.
Mon - Sun 11am - 6pm.

The 9 metre long polyptych consists of four hundred plaster casts of vulvas, all of them unique, arranged into ten large panels. The artist, Jamie McCartney, set out to make this project as broad and inclusive as possible. The age range of the women is from 18 to 76. Included are mothers and daughters, identical twins, transgendered men and women as well as a woman pre and post natal and another one pre and post labiaplasty.
It’s not vulgar, it’s vulva! This isn’t just sensation, it is art with a social conscience and McCartney wants people to stop, look and listen. This is about grabbing the attention, using humour and spectacle, and then educating people about what normal women really look like. Described as “the Vagina Monologues of sculpture” this piece is intended to change the lives of women, forever.



A woman is like a tea bag - you can not tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.









Share |

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

what an intriguing piece of art....

cat said...

Weird art.

Sweetie, I hope you are better soon - take good care of yourself.

twinkly sparkles said...

Pretty interesting stuff. If the Wall came (ahem) here, I would try to see it. Thanks for the post!

twinkly sparkles said...

And another thing...Americans don't know that "fanny" means what it does over in Britain, but a friend told me that your "fanny" is your "front bum." We really need to be informed of this!

Lost.in.Idaho said...

I don't know art, but I know what I like.

And I like vagina.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

That pierced one really caught my attention. Could you imagine being her, and having to pick out all that plaster when done???

Oilfield Trash said...

Hope you get better soon.

And great wall of vagina huh? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Nolens Volens said...

Get well soon. Too bad you didn't get to participate in the Great Wall. ;)

Aaron M. Gipson said...

well pneumonia isn't something to mess with so I hope that you are taking it easy until your balloon trip. At least you have something really nice to look forward to, I can think of very few more romantic husband-and-wife dates. My fiancée is still mad at me for my last choice of romantic dates. I don't understand why, I told her that she could supersize her fries...

As far as the wall of vaginas goes, I have to say that I really like the idea. Women are just as unique in that area of their body as they are in their faces. Looking at them for too long makes me hungry though.

I really hope you feel better, and that you and the hubby get to soar silently in the sky despite bad weather and lung infections.

Divemaster GranDad said...

Great piece of art/conversation piece...

Get well soon...pneumonia as a result of a weekend away? Winner!!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Brain @cat indeed

@twinkly sparkles "Front Bum" haven't heard that in yonks!

@Lost you would think that

@Nolens who said I didn't?

@DivemasterGranDad We postponed it to this weekend.

Erin O'Riordan said...

Cool art.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails