Thursday, 28 May 2009

Feedback Session with the Therapist (Final)

Our wee family went to Lynn (Kaylin’s Therapist) for our final feedback session on Tuesday afternoon and I was blown away by her encouraging comments.

She told us that I’ve done such a fantastic job with Kaylin in the few months we’ve been going to her. She mentioned that our bond now is so firm and loving that she doesn’t see us “relapsing” and falling back into accepting old behaviours at all! I was beaming.

She asked if she could give my number to a mum who is having similar problems with her little boy as I was having with Kaylin. Immediately said “With pleasure!”. I’d love to “pass it forward” to someone else who could benefit from my methods, my consistency and determination to win this battle and make it work.

I actually spoke to the mum (as she had the session just before us) and she felt just like I felt in the beginning: Lost, frustrated and completely hopeless. I told her we should have coffee and talk. She was a little embarrassed about getting teary eyed in front of a complete stranger. I felt her pain. I saw her frustration. I recognised it all in one feeble, agonising, quivering fake smile. I wanted to share the gift with her but didn’t want to scare her of what lay ahead: Lots of hard work, lots of tears and plenty guilt.

Lynn told me she hasn’t been so blown away by the change in us. To watch us play and enjoy one another was an absolute pleasure for her. She told me I’m a great mum and that I should continue doing what I am doing and she can’t see anything going wrong. My smile was wrapped right around my fat head!

Lynn only wishes that other parents were as dedicated as I was to repairing an out-of-control relationship between a mother and her child. I thought it would be years to fix it and work things out! I thought my child was “broken” and that we were looking at therapy for “Aspergers Syndrome”.

Turns out she’s just a spirited child with CAPPS (Curious, Adventurous, Powerful, Persistent and Sensitive) and because I’d used the incorrect communication methods with her for so long, she was reluctant to try new things, reluctant to become independent, which affected her speech development and her being so irritatingly clingy. Now all these things are improving and will continue to improve as time plods on.

My head is swollen with pride. My heart is so swollen with love for my beautiful wee girl. We are in no ways perfect, but I am extremely happy with my wonderful wee family.

We’ve come a long way…

3 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations Gill! I am so pleased! It takes hard work, dedication, patience and HEAPS of love! I think you guys are great!

Jeanette said...

How absolutely wonderful Gillian!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Well done, I'm so proud of you my friend. Persistence, It's all worth it in the end. Mandy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails