Monday, 28 April 2014

Xhosa is Just a Click Away

We are heading down the home stretch on the April A to Z Blog Challenge this week.  Only three letters left, Plonkers.

Today's letter is X, which is always a difficult one.  
My Southafricanism for today is :

Xhosa is on of the official languages of South Africa.  Like most Bantu languages, Xhosa is a tonal language, that is, the same sequence of consonants and vowels can have different meanings when said with a rising or falling or high or low intonation. One of the most distinctive features of the language is the prominence of click consonants; the word "Xhosa" begins with a click.

Former President Nelson Mandela was a Xhosa speaker. 

This unique language is best described in song by the talented Miriam Makeba performing The Click Song or Qongqothwane.

Enjoy it - its catchy.




 

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet someone learning the language would say things wrong all the time.

Bailey Schneider said...

I still can't get the clicks right... Incredible language

The Glebe Blog said...

I remember first hearing Miriam back in the early sixties and I became a fan. Pata pata was never off BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service)and it persuaded me to buy her album. The 'Click' song was on that album too. Wish I'd never given it away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails