Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Times : 9am tot Gatvol

Gatvol (the g is pronounced like you are gargling ghhhh-aht-fall) in the same way as the "ch" in the Scottish "loch" or the German "achtung".  A growl at the back of the throat.  

Translated literally, this word means ”the hole is full.” Used as a term of absolute frustration.  One is gatvol when one has had enough. The emphasis on the ”g” makes this word particularly effective. You know that when someone is gatvol, well, that's the end of your bullshit...  

This South African word is such fun to say and its perfect when you're completely fed up and are ready to blow a gasket. A great word to say when you can't say "Fuck It!".

Usage : I have had it up to here! I am gatvol. If you don't tidy your room, you are grounded.



7 comments:

Ami said...

I'm really enjoying this series.
:)

Cecilia said...

that is a fantastic word and I am going to practice until it comes naturally :) thank you. Today I was Gatvol with my teenage son.

Nats ~Coral Tinted Perceptions said...

When I saw the topic of your post, my first post was she can't be Scottish this is a South African Term but then I read your bio :) Love this word and how South Africans use it when completely fed up..

Jan Morrison said...

Lovely word! I will start using it immediately. Thanks for coming by and I just looked at your handy tips-I like a woman who is domestic and likes to swear!

David P. King said...

Amazing how many different words there are that conveys the same goal. :)

It Is Interesting To Note said...

I am loving this theme! And I'm incorporating gatvol into as many conversations as possible today.

Ermie said...

Great word. I can see myself using this a lot! :-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails