Thursday, 3 April 2014

Hard Times Will Always Reveal True Chommies

Happy Day No. 3, Pretty Plonkers and that means today is the letter C.  

I think the most diverse thing in South Africa is our culture. They don't call us "The Rainbow" national for nothing.  With eleven official languages and so many ethnic and cultural differences, South Africans pride themselves on their hospitality. 

Chommies [pronounced ch-om-eez] is today's Southafricanism, if you haven't realized it yet.  Chommies is a term meaning "friend" or "buddy", which originates from isiXhoas, one of SA's 11 official languages, which also happens to be Mandela's home language. 

South Africans love making new Chommies, we love entertaining our Chommies and we know the importance of Chommies!  I know I certainly do, and I don't forget to tell my friends how much they mean to me and how much I love them.  I couldn't live without my friendships.



Usage :  "Howzit!  I'll be drinking with my chommies, wanna join us?"

My BFF aka My Bestest "Chommie"



13 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

I can't decide if that sounds like I want you to be my chum or if it sounds like I want to munch on you. Maybe that's a zombie term?

Udita Banerjee said...

Lovely :)
But how can you bear being away from Scotland!?
http://effervescencia.blogspot.in/2014/04/c-is-for-critical-analysis.html

Pinky Poinker said...

Chommie is a great term. It's mates of course in Australia... or bro's in New Zealand I believe.I LOVE your banner! Visiting from AtoZ Challenge.

Ami said...

Interesting word.

And love the photo of you with your friend.

D Biswas said...

Love making new chommies, too :)

I can imagine the sound of the accent, the drawl, and I like it!

Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014, Latest Post

Twitter: @damyantig
#atozchallenge



Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chommies are real chummies!

New House Girl said...

Having been to South Africa (for 5 months) it's great to see your blog about all things from the Rainbow Nation! I loved living there. Capetown is such a gem and I still remember the tasty braais! Enjoy the Challenge!
--Alicia

Lisa said...

I like that, Chommies! Over here the closest we get to that I think is chums, and that's old fashioned now. Hopping around on the A to Z!

Melanie Schulz said...

I'm going to have to use that word now. :)

Bailey Schneider said...

CHOMMIES!! Love it

Jo said...

Don't think those ladybugs are really being chommies. I can think of another word for it.

Eileen T said...

Chommies - it's a friendly sounding word so very apt!

Eileen @ In My Playroom (also doing the A to Z Challenge)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Andrew Zombies? I think not.

@Udita Banerjee I love South Africa and I have been away from Scotland for over 30 years.

@Eileen It's perfectly apt.

@DBiswas the accent makes it brilliant.

@pinkeyponker I love the Ozzie accent

@Ami me too

@Alex @Melanie exactly

@NewHouseGirl Did you enjoy living in SA?

@Lisa it comes from the word chums

@Bailey thanx again for popping in

@Jo Boinking Buddies











LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails