Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Ayoba Africa

Day One of The A to Z Blog Challenge and we're finally here!  I was late signing up this year (this is my fourth year doing the challenge) and so I am #1055 on the list

A huge, South African welcome to all the old Plonkers and all the new visitors to my wee bloggy.

My Theme for the A to Z Blog Challenge this year is SouthAfricanisms.

So, sit back, relax and you just may be enlightened about South Africa and the jargon we speak.  It is such a beautiful country, that has so much to offer and so many different cultures and quirks.

We start with the Letter A...

Ayoba [pronounced ah-yoh-ba] is a slang term used by South Africans to express amazement.  Its is derived from other slang terms like "Ayeye" and "Ayoyoyo".  It was originally meant as an approval or appreciation of good dancing, other the exact origins of the phrase are unknown. 

"Ayoba" is thought to have roots in a Johannesburg township culture.  It also became really popular during our hosting of the 2010 Soccer World Cup.  Even a major cellphone network, MTN, snapped up the word and used it in all their television commercials.  

It is uniquely and proudly South African and expresses delight, excitement, agreement and approval. It's also used as a greeting.

All-in-all a brilliant Southafricanism.

Usage : Crowd surfin' is totally ayoba!





15 comments:

Bailey Schneider said...

Love your theme! I'm looking forward to reading every day!
x

Andrea MusicFan said...

This was ayoba so it was! :) I'm strangely drawn to SA although never been there! Somehow always bump into people who are or have been there! And great ppl, mind you :)

Cathy Kennedy said...

Totally new term to me. This be such fun learning more about South Africa with your daily posts. Thanks for reminding me of this blog challenge!

Ida Chiavaro said...

Ayoba... I laughed when I read the meaning - I was already smiling when I pronounced it out loud... sometimes the sound of word has the exact vibration of what it means - tweeted :) #atozchallenge. Reflex Reactions

Brandon Ax said...

Cool. I love learning new words.

Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

Mich said...

I must incorporate this word into my everyday language. Makes me think of "ayuh," which is slang that exists only in Maine...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ayoba! The guy in the thong! No...

Andrew Leon said...

I will have to think about how to use that!

Phil Holtberg said...

Now I'm going to use the word Ayoba all the time!

J.Day said...

I feel I'm going to learn lots of new words and accidentally use them here in a mountain town in Northern California and people are going to look at me like, "whaaa?" lol

Renee Michelle said...

Love your blog!

Jo said...

Surprised we haven't heard it before. Friend who lives near Johannesburg warned me that vuvuzela's would breed and they certainly did. So why not ayoba everywhere I wonder.

Dazediva said...

Woot woot on your theme !!
I almost thought you'd be v-logging your posts (your intro to the theme was awesome)

Looking forward to learning new words and surprising some South African friends with their own lingo :)

Lisa said...

Oh I loved the Ayoba video! Ayoba is such a cool word, maybe I'll have to start using it over here...LOL! Fun blog and intersting theme! Also enjoyed your video about the #AtoZblogchallenge!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Bailey @ReneBlog @Lisa @Brandon @Ida Thank you!!

@Andrea the South Africans have awesome qualities.

@Cathy you'll have to sign up next year!

@J.Day All the best with that

@Mich Ayuh :-)

@Alex The guy in the thong rocks it

@Andrew not to hard please

@Phil you and me both

@Dazediva I would've loved to have vlogged every post but the edited takes ages and I'm a working mum and wife...I wouldn't have the time for that.

@Jo those vuvuzelas spread like wildfire...come back for the letter V, Jo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails