Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Being a Ginger in a Gingerland

Normally as a ginger, when you arrive at a venue or event, you are the only person in the room with red hair.  Okay, if you’re lucky, then there is maybe one other ginger in the room and a shared acquainted nod bonds you together. 

Familiar minority…

As a ginger, you somewhat get used to the attention it brings.  People want to come and tell you how lovely your hair colour is, they want to touch it, like it has some sort of magical ability.  They want to talk to you about my heritage and where the red hair comes from.
Often, it makes a good conversation ice-breaker if you want to network and meet new people.

But sometimes you just want to blend in and not stand out like a beacon, signaling for gingerfans to come and engage with you and ask the questions that you’ve answered a million times before.
Of course, when they hear my Scottish accent, it’s another topic for discussion. Where you from? When did you come here? Why did you leave? Will you ever go back? Sometimes I wish there would be other topics of discussion to tete-a-tete over.
Last year, I got involved in a project called I Collect Gingers and Anthea, the photographer and artist,  invited all her gingers along to secretly “take over” the opening of a art studio in Newtown last week.  It was Performing Ginger Art at its best.

The ginger gathering was a bizarre experience! 

The art studio was filled to the brim with 70 gingers and flashes of auburn, chestnut, strawberry, ginger and sandy were everywhere.  I’d never seen anything like it!  It was awesome and weird at the same time. 

Not only were the gingers the majority, but the blondes and brunettes must’ve felt like the odd-man-out, for a change.  I met gingers from Denmark and the States and chatted to them and how they felt about the ginger gathering. 

We all had similar feelings.  It felt rather empowering.  It felt like you had a room full of comrades and cohorts and that we had each other’s back.  We felt like we could take over the world!  Ginger superheros.  The ginger energy was exhilaratingly electric.  It flashed and flaunted everywhere. The atmosphere was overwhelming and grand at the same time and it deemed absolutely remarkable to be a part of something so cool.

I can’t wait for the next ginger invasion.

15 comments:

Ganesh Chella said...

Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Helping Organisations

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think red hair is beautiful. Wear that ginger proudly!

Lovely Light said...

Sounds so fun! Yay for gingers...! My first boyfriend was a ginger....
:)

jenette said...

I'm SO sad I missed this!!!

The Bright Side of Life said...

I so have to pass this post onto my god daughter who is a stunning ginger.... Amy, if you read this.. I am so proud of you and have a blast at your matric dance on Friday! xx

amiee said...

(thanks Di^) this is so awesome! wish I could have taken part :)

Kerina said...

Sounds very cool and a wonderful experience. I enjoyed this post

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Lass! Good grief, please get them to invite me next time! I'm not ginger, but... wow! Indigo x

Mike Smith said...

Huv ye still got yer Scots accent then, hen...?

Christine Macdonald said...

What a cool experience to have! I love Gingers! xo

Not So Simply Single said...

Love that you are a ginger blazing ahead in the brightness that is all you...

Bet it feels weird to be in a crowd of ginger...

I came from an area in California that was all blonde...

Now I live in a sea of brunettes or black haired locals, an outcast because I am blonde. (sigh)

You are a beauty rocking that red hair!

Maurice Mitchell said...

Gillian, red hair is always so stunning! It must have been awesome.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

cat said...

That is so very very cool!

Melany said...

I'm so glad that these days, people don't look down on redheads, like they used to. My son has been nicknamed "Ginger"by his rugby teammates. He wears the name with pride :)

Leah said...

I adore ginger hair. All the different shades of it are what sets us apart.l I had copper hair as a kid (sadly went to patchy grey, and now blonde to blend it in!)My elder daughter is blonde with some strawberry streaks and loosk stunning. Younger daughter inherited the magnificent copper and hates it so much that she dyes it dark brown! Everyone keeps telling her she's mad, but she got teased at school and called 'Ginner' had says it traumatised her for life. I'd love to tell her she's a drama queen but I'd best keep me gob shut on that one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails