Wednesday, 27 June 2012

A Rough Day

Kaylin went for her first assessment with the Speech Therapist on Monday this week. Two hours and R950 poorer, my wee lassie was knackered. All the focus and concentrating took it out of her and she fell asleep on the way back to school on the back seat of the car.

I dropped her off and sped back to work, knowing that they’d been pissed at me for taking so long. My eyes were leaking from being told that my wee lassies needs lots of speech therapy at least once a week as her expressive vocab is on par with that of a 4½ year old. Her interpretive vocab is age appropriate, she just needs help verbalizing herself and learning to form correct and full sentences. 

Kaylin hides this very well, though. She hides behind her humour and dramatics or avoids you like the plague if you're pressing her.  She is not confident about speaking at all but rather uses facial expressions and sounds to get a laugh.

Kaylin is 6 and needs to go to “big school” next year.

I am doing everything in my power to get her “school ready”.  Her ADHD meds help but she also attends Occupational Therapy once a week (she needs more, but we can’t really afford it).   Kaylin is a happy wee lassie and oblivious to why she goes to “PLAY” at all these lady’s offices. She thinks we’re just visiting. I feel overwhelmed and forever rushing here and there with her. I can only trust that I'm doing the best for her as I'm not a professional in these areas.

Today at the OT, she suggested that I have the Neurologist do a cat scan on KK to make sure that she has no neurological nerve damage to her brain. Just to rule it out. This scared me. She said that she’s never seen a case this severe.   The fact that Kaylin battles to recall simple words, express herself in sentenses and follow simple instructions.   Kaylin gets extremely frustrated when she can’t do something or finds it difficult. She immediately gets extremely anxious, starts talking “baby talk” and pulls back. You can see the apprehension on her wee face. It breaks my heart.

It was a very emotional day yesterday.  I cried a lot.  Normally I just "get on with it" but yesterday I just broked down. I felt alone and helpless.

I'm praying we can out-rule it and with long-term treatment with the OT and speech therapist we can experience improvement. 

In the meantime we are still searching for a suitable primary school for my wee lass.



15 comments:

middle child said...

Hang in there. Praying for you.

Mike Smith said...

I wish you well. The love your wee lassie both gives and receives from you is priceless and will keep you going through tough times.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

All the best Lassie - it can't be easy. I trust it will all work out for you all.
Salagatle!

The Glebe Blog said...

My youngest granddaughter Charlotte was having similar problems at 4 years of age.
She's nearly seven now and as bright a spark in her class as the best of them. Sometimes the slowest developers come out the brightest. Take me for example........well maybe not, but here's some slow starters.
Laurence Graff, Jamie Oliver, Quentin Tarantino, Delia Smith, Sir Alex Ferguson, Eric Clapton, Alan Titchmarsh, Billy Connolly and Stella McCartney.

The Bright Side of Life said...

Don't panic, she will be ok..... x

Lesley at Fabulously Flawed said...

Huge, glittery and feel good prayers coming your way, babe.

Julia said...

Oh honey. ((hugs)). It really will be OK. She is fantastic and has a great family that will be there for her every step of the way. Much love to you all.
xx

Brian Miller said...

ugh...stressful for sure...and def do the rule out if you can to set yourself at ease...my youngest sees a speech therapist as well...

Maurice Mitchell said...

Gillian, it takes a lot of strength to deal with this. Way to go. Keep your head up.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just a bump in the road - it won't ruin her life. You're doing all you can for her. Praying they find nothing with the scan and she starts responding to the therapy. Fast.

Mark said...

The fact that it hurts you so to see her go through this proves that you're such a good Mom who is trying to do her best. Keep that up!
Your Friend, m.

YeamieWaffles said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this worry Lass but try not to let yesterday dominate your thoughts for too long. You're doing your best to get Kaylin ready for her school life and by doing your best you're fulfilling your role as a mummy pretty damn well. I wouldn't hold too much fear over the brain scan thing, it's just a precautionary idea and it's probably highly unlikely that she has anything wrong up there. Hopefully this speech therapy will help a lot, I used to have to go and see a speech therapist and I know that they can do some amazing work.

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Lass! This is a heart-breaker of a piece; I truly feel for you. Life can be tough for kids, but a morass of worries and what-ifs for their parents. But wee K has you and hubby and big sis and is luckier than most in that respect, and I hope her new challenges bring her everything she wants. Big hug to you, Indigo x

Lovely Light said...

I can't offer much, but lots of {{{HUGS}}}. She has you for a mommy, and that is huge.

jenette said...

JAMMER hoor. You are such a FAB mom I know you are doing everything in your power to help your wee lassie. Thinking of you! xxxxxxxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails