Thursday, 27 October 2011

Ging Gang Goolie-Goolie Wotchya Ging Gang Goo...

While driving in my car the other day, I had a brain fart and it made me sing this daft wee song out loud in the car. 

The girls looked at me as if I was a complete fucking idiot and so, when I got to work, I had to google it.  I wanted to find out why this silly song was stuck in my head and where I would've learned it from, as a child. 


Post-Google, here is my theory.

I was a Brownie when I was a wee lass for about 5 seconds. 

I loved all the fun games we played at our local church hall. I enjoyed being part of the Sixes and singing all the songs.  I loved wearing the brown uniform and earning badges for helping the aged and stuff like that.  It made me feel important.

I learned my brownie motto, my brownie promise and my brownie salute.  I over-used the salute because it made me feel like I was a member of some secret sorority society.  Daft, I know but I was only 7!

I made my Brownie Promise:
                                         
I promise that I will do my best                                   
To do my duty to my God                                                                    
And to my Country
To help other people
And to keep the Brownie Law.

However, I detested all the other "work" we had to do, like learning to say the alphabet backwards and shite like that. 

So, I quit.  

I learned to play the violin instead.

Och well, I never got to be a Girl Guide, even though their uniform was MUCH cooler than the Brownie uniform. The Girl Guides is the next step after you've completed the Brownie stuff.  It usually happens when you're about 10 years old.

Anyhoo, I figured I learned this daft wee song at Brownies.


13 comments:

Melanie said...

Its amazing the places we pull memories out of our brain! And lucky you was able to come up with a theory. I have lost that skill. I blame sleep deprivation. I couldn't even tell you if what I just typed makes actual sense.

Tiny Goes Retail said...

that song is funny lol im not surprised u remember it cause its catchy hahahahaha!!

Mynx said...

Absolutely a scouting/guiding song. Many a campfire I have sat around singing that song. Works best as a round I think.
It still makes me smile

Kristen said...

I have to say the violin was a good call. I was a Brownie for a similar amount of time, then headed to dance class.

Eve.E said...

Hey there,
Hope you are well :) So good to "meet" you. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, I'm sorry your first comments didn't appear, but it has now :) You are so right there are so many to get through phew.....great blog btw.
Hugs eve.x

G-Man said...

Brownies?
Naw....I won't say it!
Have a Nice day yourself Jildo.
(and hey...Fuck You!)

Lesley said...

I was a brownie and a girl guide and I still sing this song all the time! We learned all of these songs to sing in rounds and we did them so many times that they are forever lodged in my memory!

And that freakin motto! I do have some memory of giving money each week to the great owl...? Maybe I was drunk.

Copyboy said...

Do Brownies recognize their own country? Or do you gals all fight for the same cause globally?

blueviolet said...

That makes me laugh so much that the song popped into your head, and your girls' reactions are too funny!

Michael Offutt said...

For what it's worth...I love the sound of the violin. IT is beautiful.

The Glebe Blog said...

Yup, I remember it from my Cub and Scout Days.
I think I also remember the Rutles doing it.
and the oath was the similar.
Be prepared.I'd have been more prepared if I'd known then what I know now.
Cheerio the noo.

Anonymous said...

Jildo..who could " belief" a French Judge would even think of that?
Is Gilles so persecuted about his childhood, that he feels he's alleviating someone else's misery?
Because Gilles was a really nice guy!
And now, he just became another " madman".

W.C.Camp said...

Wow you're amazing to remember anything when you were 7 years old. I have 'notions' of things I did and pictures to help me remember certain events, but to recall a song from when you were tiny is really GREAT!! W.C.C.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails