Saturday, 15 October 2011

The Queen is NOT amused....

So, hear ye, hear ye!

If the Duchess of Cambridge's firstborn is a girl, any brothers that may follow will automatically overtake her in the line for the throne, according to the present law.

While this has been British law for hundreds of years, Britain is a country that embraces gender equality in all other spheres of employment, so why not on the royal throne?

Law change would allow a royal daughter to rule. 

Is it time to change this succession law in Britain? Prime Minister David Cameron thinks so...

The Prime Minister believes that the 1701 Act of Settlement, (which also stops royals marrying Roman Catholics), is outdated and discriminates against women.

He was quoted as saying: "We espouse gender equality in all other aspects of life and it is an anomaly that in the rules relating to the highest public office we continue to enshrine male superiority." (Mail Online 13 October 2011)

Cameron has proposed that males should no longer take precedence as heir to the throne, and that a daughter born to the new royal couple should take precedence over younger brothers in the line of succession.

Law needs agreement by all 16 commomwealth leaders.

In his letter to the Commonwealth leaders, Cameron has requested that the proposed law change be applied to any children produced by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, even if a child is born before the revised law is passed.

However, the current generation of royals won't be affected, so Princess Anne can't overtake her younger brothers Andrew and Edward to become fourth in line to the throne.

What The Queen thinks?

Buckingham Palace has apparently approved a concerted effort to change the law. A decision is expected at a summit of Commonwealth leaders in Australia at the end of this month.

What do you guys think?

Sources: www.dailymail.uk, www.guardian.uk

14 comments:

Blogger Broadcast said...

Amazing how they have kept this tradition until today.

BlaBla said...

And what about the "No Catholics" bit? Is he asking to have that bit removed from the law as well? A little fresh bloodstock added into the royal gene-pool would mean that Will & Kate's daughter has the chance to eventually get rid of those ears!

vanyelmoon said...

I never though of it that way. It is a fairly outdated law, but the monarchy is an antique holdover from the past. Nice to see it might actually be improved upon :)

JJ said...

I’m now following you from the Pay It Forward Blogfest.

Brian Miller said...

when you sit on the throne i guess you rewrite reality any way you want...

Lesley said...

Being Canadian ( and technically British-ish ) I should care. But I don't. Not because it's not important...just because I'm too lazy to.

Bailey Hammond said...

Equality for the win! Oh and I totally have that Perry the Platypus shirt the littlest of your favorite dafties is wearing. It's a personal fave of mine, honestly. Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Dazee Dreamer said...

should have happened years ago. I say, they all better vote yes. women of the world unite.

jenette or more commonly known as "j" said...

Grrr. Gender Equality for the win! :) Male superiority however = fail.

IndigoWrath said...

Hey Daft Scots Lass! May I call you... Lass? Indigo here, thanks for stopping by my blog. And I'm glad I stopped by here; as a fellow Brit, I am totally on board for this one. And the Duchess of Cambridge should be Queen, too. I'm just saying. See you again, Indigo

Oh, and I'm totally on tenterhooks what your condition for following my blog is! TELL ME!

Cat said...

I knew that GB was somehow weird when I found out on one of my first visits (ages ago) that they dubbed US-films. Also, I found it irritating when a Scotsman told me the "new" decimal system was too complicated form him. For me, it would be no wonder if they never changed that law no matter how outdated. But who knows. Times are changing -- and there are wonders once in a while. ;-)

Mynx said...

It is about time. Seems crazy the Queen hasnt pushed for this before now

Aimee Katherine said...

I completley agree. Fuck traditional gender roles.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@BloggerBroadcast They're all about tradition, my friend.

@BlaBlah Finally no Scottish Cup looking royals? It may be a bit strange at first...

@Brian I rewrite loads of things on the throne :-)

@Lesley What is British-ish? Isn't that a blog post all of its own?

@Bailey I ♥ Perry the Platypus. He's so bad ass.

@Dazee @jenette @Mynx @Aimee Girl Powa!

@Indigo climb on the bus, mate!

@Cat Was that Scotsman drunk? Hmmmm stupid question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails