Saturday, 29 October 2011

Hoppy Halloween

The 31st of October is Halloween.

The day is often associated with orange (my favourite colour) and black and is strongly associated with symbols like the jack o' lantern, which is usually carved out of a massive pumpkin and a candle put inside.  It looks really creepy and its fun to make.

Halloween was one of my favourite holidays, growing up in Scotland.  But unfortunately South Africa is not big on celebrating this holiday. Fucking Killjoys!

Yeah, it's very unfortunate, because I love dressing up. Anything to get behind a mask and costume to play a creepy character.  It's a great excuse to get away with being bit loony and dippy.

As a young girl, my mum always made us wicked home-made costumes and we traipsed around the neighbourhood trick-or-treating singing silly wee songs

Trick or treat,
smell my feet,
give me something 
good to eat! 

At oor wee hoose, mum always hung up triangle-shaped scone covered in treacle, suspended  on a string from our kitchen doorway.

Everyone who came trick-or-treating got a turn to try to take a huge bite out of the treacle-covered scone.  It was always very messy, getting a face full of treacle, but great fun!

After the Treacle Scone, it was then time for apple bobbing.  This involved my mum hauling out her largest plastic basin and filling it with water and soor apples.  We get doon on all fours next to the basin, put our hands behind our backs and stick our faces in the water and bite into an apple.  Score!

I detested this activity (never did like water up my nose) but at least thre was one concilation, it washed the treacle off yer face.  I've never been that fond of granny smith soor apples either. 

Only toffee apples...scrummy...

Our schools used to have cool costume parties and some enjoyed ghost tours, bonfires, visiting haunted attractions, playing scarey pranks on each other, reading scary stories or watching horror films.

You really don't know what you're missing, South Africa.

Dressing up is truck-loads of fun and the best is, you can be someone totally different for a day.

Incognito.

What are your Halloween Traditions? 

Join Jeremy for A Halloween Hop






13 comments:

vanyelmoon said...

Our Halloween tradition is to get all dressed up and head to a street festival called Moonfest. Live bands, food, beer and a costume contest. Loads of fun! This year I am being an pinup cowgirl :)

South Africa, you don't know what you're missing!

Melanie said...

I am so sad for you that you don't get to celebrate it fully :( Tomorrow is going to be a big day...sugar cut out cookies, pumpkin carving and day one of trick or treating!

The Accidental Somebody said...

I always assumed Halloween was just an American thing...isn't it the best?!

MichaƂ Jaworski said...

I like your blog, but i don't celebrate Haloween. I'm a member of Catholic Church and I think this fete is pagan. I love Jesus and I celebrate All Saints' Day not Satanist Haloween.

Anyway, please, come here and comment - http://razdwatrzydeltazi.blogspot.com/

Have a nice day!

Brian Miller said...

nice...we had halloween at the school last night and will take the boys out in the neighborhood on sunday...kinda scary trick or treating these days...

Come At Me Bro said...

This is great!

Sandra said...

I would love to trick or treat...I'm all about the candy! Look at you and this blog hop...I had to scroll down for a solid minute before getting to the comment box!

Mynx said...

We don't do Halloween much here either but it is gaining in popularity. We might get a handful of kids knocking at the door tomorrow night. I have some sweets just in case

The Glebe Blog said...

I used to go 'Guisin' as a wee boy,but even that seems to be dying out here in Scotland and that stupid 'Trick or Treat' seems to be getting a hold.
I'm all for progress,but it's sad to see the simpler joys in life coming to an end.

BlackLOG said...

My Halloween tradition is hiding at the back of the house to avoid the ASBO candidates collecting e-numbers in the build up to trying down to burn down the country on November the 5th....

Penelope Crowe said...

Hello hoppers!!

So glad to visit your blog! This year I will be a swachbuckling pirate and my favorite book is either Let the Right One In or The Witching Hour. I am visiting this blog from the Coffin Hop! I am #63 over there, and my blog is www.penelopecrowe.blogpspot.com. Hop over--you can win a NOOK! Happy Halloween! :)

Penelope Crowe

LDFerris said...

I found your blog with the Halloween Blog Hop and I’m sure glad I did. I’ve taken a look around and I really like what you’re doing, what you’re writing about, and your design.

I hope you’ll come check out my blog http://updownin-n-out.blogspot.com/

I blog reviews, commentary and share my opinions about books, authors, movies, TV, fanfiction and other media.

This Halloween I’m traipsing around as Medusa, homage to my fascination with mythology, and entertaining myself with Thea Harrison’s novels of The Elder Races (series).

Happy Halloween!
Lacey
http://updownin-n-out.blogspot.com/

Jeremy Bates said...

hey my favorite color is orange too!
nice
also, i used to love dressing up, but im in the philippines now, and they dont do much halloween over here :(
anyway thanks for participating!!
best
jeremy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails