Thursday, 17 November 2011

Those men that wear aprons with one troozer leg rolled up - The Freemasons

Driving to work today, I spotted a familiar symbol stuck on the back of a car. 
It was this one.


It took me a few seconds to recall exactly what it was and where I knew it from.  For those of you who don't know what it means, its the Freemasons symbol.

The reason I recognise it, is because I grew up knowing my dad as a Mason.  He went to lodge meetings every Thursday night with a couple of my uncles and mum sometimes had to make snacks for the meetings.  I knew my uncle was the Grand Master of the 505 lodge, that their meetings went on until the wee hours of the morning and Dad came home reeking of whiskey.

What exactly were they doing?

I never understood what it was all about as there are loads of secrets associated with the Freemasons.  Not even Mum knew what exactly they did.  I was instantly suspicious - nosey little shite that I am.  If there was a party going on, I wanted in on it, demmit!  Mum used to explain it to me as dad doing charity work for the good of the community. I wasn't fucking buying that shite.

Being my usual pessimistic character, I was skeptical and thought it was some sort of magical or witchcraft cult.  Chopping up stolen infants for muti or virgin sacrifices....   Because of all the secrets, I automatically thought that something sinister was going on.  Secret handshakes, apron wearing blokes...it all sounds a bit creepy and odd.

I used to watch him get dressed every week, put on his tuxedo with his green and gold apron, put on his Masons ring and cuff links.  I always thought he looked so handsome all smartly dressed up. 

Then, as a teenager, I read the book The Brotherhood but it still left loads of unanswered questions.  I detest not knowing and not understanding...I unfortunately had to come to terms with it. 

As it is a secret society it difficult to gauge the affect they have in commerce and politics. To become a Freemason you need to be invited. You will not know when you meet a Freemason, unless you are one, or unless he is wearing a Freemason ring or some kind of Freemason’s symbol. Freemason rings are often titanium rings or silver rings, they take the form of a signet ring. 

The highest ranking free masons are the only people who really know what happens in a lodge, and what power the free mason magic holds - magic spells as we know them are far from the type of power the masons wield. Any kind of speculation is pointless, their secrets are well kept and have been for hundreds of years. The extent of their power is often thrown around, but real documentation, as with Illuminati, is sketchy.

Do you know anyone who is a Freemason. If so, have they revealed any secrets to you?


18 comments:

the {Postscript} blog said...

Funny I just read this! I actually found out someone in my church is a freemason this past sunday! He is a world-renowned scholar in every possible subject, particularly history and psychology so I'm too intimidated to ask him about Freemasons haha.
It's funny how Dan Brown puts all of this together in his new book, the lost symbol, have you read it? I'm sure it's mostly fiction, but it's gotta have some fact right?
-Monica

Divemaster GranDad said...

My dad is a "retired" freemason, and one of his dreams was always to get me initiated while he was Grand Master of the lodge. That never happened though, as I never saw the masons as being much more than "an old boys club".

One thing is for sure, he never shared any secrets with anyone and no information that he wasn't allowed to, being bound by oath.

If any mason shares secrets with one of the "unitiated" then he is in the organisation for all the wrong reasons and, if caught out, he will face some serious charges by his lodge.

David L Macaulay said...

My granddad was one - never understood what the heck he did down the lodge though - I think it was meant to be a way to get a unfair advantage in the job market, but never worked for him.

cat said...

Hubby's uncle used to be one and always wore his ring. But nothing said....

Boobies said...

My husband and I ALWAYS talk about Freemasons & what deep dark secrets they hold.

I'm convinced they just use it as a way to get away from their wives. Mr. Boobies think they secretly rule the world. ;)

Melanie said...

my uncle was...they tried to take over his funeral. he never revealed any secrets to me and i actually didn't even know he was one until he died.

BlackLOG said...

Yours until the dryer sheets stop spinning,
Sorry to have to break the bad news to you but I think you will find that they already have stopped spinning...I can suggest Mr Sunshine until you get a replacement ....Top Tip Don’t try and turn him off, he’s one of those cheaper to leave running in the background models, besides if you break him we are all for the high jump....

Having a sticker in your car claiming you are a Freemason doesn’t smack of someone who is actually the member of a secret society???

I believe my Grandfather was a Freemason but he always struck me as more of a freeloader t be honest.

I thought I got an invite to be once but the phone call turned out to be from a Scottish woman who was campaigning to get her low life son out of prison

With the refrain “Free ma Son”

Joshua said...

I...don't know what you're talking about...ahem...

A Beer for the Shower said...

I don't know what goes on, but I'm willing to bet there's a circle jerk or two.

Akelamalu said...

My grandfather was a Freemason. I never knew him because he died when my father was 6 years old. My father told me that when his father died his mother went to the Freemasons for help because he'd left her destitute with 8 children. They told her they couldn't give her money because she was a Catholic, but offered to take the youngest 3 children and find homes for them. As you can imagine she told them to shove it!

The Accidental Somebody said...

I grew up in a very mormon home, and it wasn't until I got older that I learned that the practices they do in the mormon temples are extremely close to what the freemasons do (the man who founded that church was a freemason, imagine that).

The temple ceremonies were extremely secret (they call it sacred), but if you want to know what happens just look online. When I learned what takes place in those ceremonies I was extremely grateful I had left that cult.

Talk about creepy!

Not So Simply Single said...

Well, free Masons have all sorts of secrets. They don't budge with disclosing them.

However, I have a bunch of secrets, and I tell them all the time.

That is why blogging is fabulous...

So fuck the Free Masons and get to blogging...that's my advice.

Love you!

xoxo

Copyboy said...

Hey every since I saw that nick cage movie I've been obsessed with those mason-types.

The Glebe Blog said...

I've a Freemason rule book from the early 1900 somewhere but I've mislaid it at the moment.
I myself was a 'Buff' for quite some time and they have a saying of "Once a buff always a buff".
Now I know there'll be a few people scratching their heads wondering what 'Buffs' are.
They are members of the R.A.O.B otherwise the 'Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes'.
A charitable male only organisation until the 70's when The International Order of the Ladies Glade (OLG) was formed and became the ladies section (The members badge is quite fetching,as are some of the members).
Maybe I'll re-enlist now....

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

My Dad, Grandpa, brothers and many friends are all Masons.
They came to my Grandpa's funeral...that was totally interesting.
Do not know what they do exactly but I do know that they work for the community and if another Mason needs help, they are there.
~Naila Moon

dirtycowgirl said...

No idea what they really do. I know when I was a kid they came round to ask my Dad to join, he refused. And I know that annoyed my Mum - I think because she thought it was meant to help you 'get on in life' - and she was a right snob, whereas Dad is a very down to earth union man.

Yeah, my Mum was Mrs Bouquet.

Julia said...

I have been curious about this very subject for ages so I hope that you find the answers and then blog about it.
x

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@{Postscript} I haven't read it but I'll put it on my reading list.

@Divemaster Grandad To tell you the truth, I think its a dying society.

@David I've heard that too.

@cat my dad wore his ring often.

@Boobies I think its just an excuse to get pissed and have a secret club.

@Melanie Secrets taken to the grave.

@BlackLog so sorry for your much confusion

@Joshua I will get it out of you.

@A Beer for the Shower Isn't there ALWAYS one Fucker?

@Akelamalu Hmmmm don't like THAT story one wee bit.

@The Accidental Somebody But I Like creepy.

@NSSS You're a fucking riot!

@Copyboy Oh you know I worry about you, sweetie.

@The Glebe Blog Buff, eh? So buff you've misplaced the book I want to read.

@Naila Moon I believe how its supposed to work!

@Dirtycowgirl Good Day the Bouquet Residence. Lady of the House speaking. Oh its only Sherridon!

@Julia I will reveal all in my memoires...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails