Thursday, 10 November 2011

*Warning Offensive* Shite Below

The Foschini Group has withdrawn three T-shirts from their stores with immediate effect, the Cape Times reported on Wednesday.

The withdrawal comes after a petition by local feminist organisation, FeministsSA, because the t-shirts were deemed sexist.

Shocking styles and slogans.

The T-shirts, all for men, featured slogans such as 

“You looked better from behind”; 

“S: Stay I: Intoxicated N: Nightly G: Get L: Laid E: Every day”

and 

“I put the STD in STUD, all I need is U”. 

Available at Markhams and Sports Scene stores, the T-shirts were meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but had caused offence to some customers.

Designer defends t-shirts.

Harry Fokker (I shite you not!) the designer of the t-shirts, explained that the purpose of these T-shirts was “satirical” and that they were “meant to be humorous, to use controversy”. 

Fokker was also quoted as saying that Markham’s withdrawal of the t-shirts was an “unfortunate outcome”.

In their petition to the Foschini Group, FeministsSA took a firm stand on the views expressed by Fokker

“Fokker’s use of images and slogans that are explicitly misogynistic on Markham t-shirts is neither humorous nor satirical. In the South African context in which rates of violence against women are among the world’s highest. His T-shirts display, at best, foolish na├»vete, at worst, casual bigotry,” they stated.

Social networking storm
Using social networking sites, Twitter and Facebook, FeministsSA asked its followers to boycott all Foschini stores until all the offensive sweaters had been removed. The request, along with the petition included on thepetitionsite.com, caused an uproar which ultimately prompted the Group to remove the T-shirts.

Crossing the line
The Foschini Group’s communications manager Kathryn Sakalis said “We have hundreds of Ts with different slogans. Those withdrawn are three we felt crossed the line between humorous and offensive," she said. 

Offensive?  They should read some of my fucking t-shirts!
My favourite at the moment?

"Some say I have a bad attitude.  I say FUCK 'EM!"  

That one is dedicated to Harry Fokker!

Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it, Foschini.  Its called Satire and its fucking funny!!

18 comments:

Melanie said...

Harry Fokker? Awesome. Honnestly, I laughed at a couple of them. Everyone just needs to relax and quit being so uptight.

The Glebe Blog said...

There's always someone wanting to spoil the fun.
They should see some of the tee shirts that are worn in Blackpool in the summer,and by the woman too.
One I remember seeing was 'Fellatio Sucks-I Fly Cunnilingus' then there's the really crude ones often worn by ladies with a strong Glasgow accent that are straight to the point'It's Fair Week-Fuck Me'
Women's Lib ? they've been liberated for years.

Aimee Katherine said...

I'm not keen on the Fokker (lol) t-shirts bit I like your attitude one :P

Go figure.

Nat said...

This is hilarious! Harry Fokker? He could be a long lost fashionista cousin on a new "Meet The Fokkers" etc film series :-)

Mynx said...

I reckon we have the same ones in one of our chain stores. I think most of them are hilarious because the guys that buy them and wear them are usually really ugly anyway

Cyn said...

the overneed to be politically correct & over-analyze everything will be the downfall of society -- i have said that for years.

i laughed at all of them!

seriously -- give the women of the world a little bit more credit & allow us to decide what is offensive to us or not...

dumbasses!

Brian Miller said...

the million moms movement here keep me from being about to get Schweddy Balls ice cream by Ben & Jerry here for similar reasons.....

Matthew MacNish said...

You're fokking hilarious, lassie. You always show us the funniest things.

Left Coast Guy said...

Let me say that there are allot of assholes out there and we can't let their women hating philosophies gain any purchase in a fair Society. Having said that, I'm sorry, those shirts are just fucking funny! Get oF your feminista high horse, undo your damn corset (or remove your spanks) and lighten up a little! Sheesh!

Miss ya Lass, sorry I have been absent!
Dean
Http://leftcoastguy.com

vanyelmoon said...

I never ever felt that the t-shirt I was wearing was going to dictate the way I behave. If it were that easy, and would could reduce violence by getting rid of t-shirts, I think we would have done that a long time ago. That feminist group needs to pull the proverbial stick out of their ass.

nitebyrd said...

And I thought the US was the only place full of politically correct idiots! Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?

Slyde said...

thats just a bunch of Bull...

those shirts are funny, and you REALLY have to be thin-skinned to be offended by any of that stuff..

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I loved all yer comments. remember to caption my photo competition and remember to come back and vote for your favourite.

Choleesa said...

FeministsSA is probably full of fat ugly women, who havent gotten laid in twenty years.....

dirtycowgirl said...

That is ridiculous.

And yeah they should see some of mine, my favourite says "I'd like to fuck your brains out but you don't have any".

Came over from copyboys blog...followed, for the content but also so I can look at those shoes.

dirtycowgirl said...

Hahahaha

Just seen your "shut up I wear bigger heels then your dick" banner...guess what ?
Also got a t-shirt with that on it :)

Southern said...

hehehe... she said, "tongue in cheek"

I agree, lets get mad about something worth getting mad about, for heaven sake. How about really helping folks in need instead of restraining trade. Great post, Scots Lass.

Curmudgeon said...

Sound like a bunch of bored bra-burning biddies. Bet not one of them could fill out a tee shirt very well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails