Wednesday, 25 January 2012

They all start out as Juliets and wind up as Lady Macbeths

I work with an office full of women. 

No, you don't understand, we are ALL women except our MD, IT guy and our FD and Accountant.  So, that's four blokes out of about 38 strong, independent, intelligent and incredily opinionated women.  Poor fucking bastids!  They are completely out-numbered. 
Because of all these women, you'd think that our office would be full of bitchiness and backstabbing. 

You'd be AbsaFuckingLootly right! 

Oh yeah...it does happen from time-to-time where the claws come out and one or two of us have a Hissy BitchFest.  You'd be a utter FuckKnob if you didn't think that! 

You simply can't have nearly 40 women in the same building with hormones raging, PMS flaring, menopause blazing and jealously flashing and expect all of us to embrace, hold hands and singing fucking Kumbaya.  

But, I don't care what anyone says, I work with the most amazing bunch of women on the planet!  They are successful, educated and  truly amazing and I just wanted to share that.

The company I work for is a publishing and media company and therefore we work in a very deadline-driven environment.  It's high pressure and constant stress to get publications to print on time.  We work our arses off and are dedicated. 

Most of the Sales staff have been with the company for more than 10 years, some of them even more.  We are an amazing team, if I do say so myself, and we achieve spectacular things.

Today this was re-affirmed for me.

I was in an extremely bad moody today.  No, lets rephrase that, I was Fucked Off about being over-worked, under paid and in generally annoyed that I'm constantly frustrated about never getting to the end of my workload.  Perpertual requests for duties to be carried out and incescnt juggling of tasks and projects.

I had two of the girls come into my office and ask what was up with my fizzy face.  I told them my frustrations and without me even realising, they were telling me jokes, sharing funny stories and getting me to laugh.  They had changed my horrid mood into something so cool... 

Once they'd left my office, they made me realise how much I appreciate them.  When I'd realised what happened, I got so emotional! (and no, Plonkers, its not that time of the month)

I then realised - again - why I work here, why I've been with the same company for over six years.  Because of the people!  Because of the BRILLIANT and special bunch of women I am blessed to work with. 

You women are the fucking BOMB!

You turned my Blue Monday into a something so special. 

I made sure I told them how I felt.

And the moral of the story is?

Verbalise how you feel, tell the people in your life how special they are, don't just think it.  Friendships are just as important as family.  Remember, you get to choose your friends, but you unfortunately don't get to choose your family.

Happy Burns Day!  

Have a couple o' whiskies and some tatties 'n haggis for me.






  

17 comments:

YeamieWaffles said...

I have to agree with you that an office full of women only would be hell, I love that Shakespearean comparison too, it' so true. Happy Burns Day too Lass!

Mynx said...

your work environment is almost the complete opposite of mine. We have about 4 women to 50 men in the building so a completely different vibe.
I have worked in all women offices which are great and some that have been awful.
If you have a great one, consider yourself blessed because that is really wonderful

The Glebe Blog said...

A lovely looking bunch of ladies.

I was looking for a Burns Poem that wouldn't tax your workmates with an impossible translation.

I think they'll enjoy 'The Parting Kiss'

Humid seal of soft affections,
Tenderest pledge of future bliss,
Dearest tie of young connections,
Love's first snowdrop, virgin kiss!

Speaking silence, dumb confession,
Passion's birth, and infant's play,
Dove-like fondness, chaste concession,
Glowing dawn of future day!

Sorrowing joy, Adieu's last action,
(Lingering lips must now disjoin),
What words can ever speak affection
So thrilling and sincere as thine!

StardustSavannah said...

It's so amazing to me some days to be a woman.
I came late to that in life...

Your working experience could be a mirror image of mine- except I don't have any men here. We're all women. Nonetheless, I love my friends and co-workers too. They're an absolutely amazing, talented, driven, and successful group of women.

Thanks for sharing- it's nice not to hear a bitchfest:)
Tracy

Joshua said...

My office is the same, 11 guys out of 87 people. I stay out of the way.

nitebyrd said...

I'll pass on the haggis, thanks. Lucky you to work in such a great, if frustrating, environment!

Ducky said...

How rare and amazing! The only reason I'm still at my job is because it's the ONLY place I can get health insurance. Period. I use to love what I do but I no longer do anything remotely close to what I was originally hired on to do. It's a struggle every day to get up and go and not shank someone.

Cheers to you!!

Mo said...

Happy Burns day to you too

emmiemears said...

Happy Burns Day!

And to prove it, here's a couple of blog awards for you!

http://emmiemears.com/2012/01/25/much-belated-blog-awards/

I played the rebel with those awards, and you can too. I find your blog both Kreativ AND Inspiring. :)

Lovely Light said...

Nice story- when you can make friends with co-workers, it changes everything!

jenette or more commonly known as "j" said...

hello! Some of my Jocks have landed safe in Jozi, so just checking if you've got mail??!!! J

S P Mount said...

Hi, came across your blog from sending a message to a mutual friend who wanted to know when I was doing a promo of one of my books. Coming from Glasgow myself (in Vancouver now) I couldn't resist having a peep when I saw your name, and when I did, liked your attitude. I also thought you'd liked to know (if ye waant a wee slice o' hame and a bit o' a laugh) that I'm offering my free Kindle book only today for Rabbie Burns day - of which I wish you a happy one. Don't want to appear as self promoting so you'll find it easily enough if you think you're interested. Cheers.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Friendships are just as important! And a good work crew like that makes any job bearable.
I do feel sorry for the four guys though...

Donna Hole said...

I say "ditto" to this post. I work in social services, about 90 percent women in the agency, and I can so relate to all this. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :)

Work is just work, and you gotta love what you do in a high stress job, but it really is the people that make it worthwhile to show up every day.

Most of the men in our agency have learned to pretend - at the least - not to care about our "quirks". But they have their own. We all get along. Mostly :)

.......dhole

cat said...

I really sometimes miss the sisterhood - being int he building industry we are very male orientated.

Barfly said...

I used to be over an office of 8 women and it was the blast. I could play my cards right and never be in the line of fire. Those four dudes need play that up big time.

P.S. Daft, I promise I will send my tat pic soon. Thanks

Babes Mami said...

That is so great! I have worked with ladies before and it was always great when we had a group that got along most of the time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails