Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Wrinkles are NOT a girl's best friend

I'm turning 40 in 6 months time and I've noticed quite a significant increase in my crows feet.


As we decline down the melancholy tunnel of aging, our skin loses moisture and elasticity, making it prone to wrinkles. Although dermatologists have many tools for tackling those little lines that mark the passage of time, perhaps the best and safest option is to protect your skin just as it is.


I'm thinking Botox and Fillers, Plonkers.


I will outline several ways you can help to prevent wrinkles from forming in the first place.


It's in the jeans...er genes
I'm blaming my dysfunctional genetics!  My family do not age gracefully.  It's true that some people age better than others. And while scientists are beginning to gain a deeper understanding of how genetics influence the aging process, they're also discovering how much your lifestyle choices can affect your genes. Your genes only govern 30% of how you age; the other 70% is up to you.


Here comes the Sun
As we age, our skin loses collagen and the ability to retain water. This makes it less capable of dealing with the harsh effects of direct sunlight. Wear a wide-brimmed hat in summer and ALWAYS wear sunblock on exposed skin.

Recent research, however, indicates that exposing your torso for short periods of time to the midday sun is an important factor in cancer prevention. The question is how to balance the danger of skin cancer against the positive absorption of vital vitamin D by the body through direct sunlight.

Eat, drink and slather on the antioxidants
When UV rays are absorbed by your skin, they create free radicals that cause wrinkles. Antioxidants help to defend your body against free radicals. Combat wrinkles with brightly coloured red, blue, purple, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables.

Foods richest in antioxidants include all red and blue berries, pomegranates, dried red beans, and red or blue plums. To get the maximum benefits of antioxidants, eat these foods raw. Use natural or organic body creams or moisturizers containing these ingredients, and drink green tea.

Always wear your Sunnies
Not only will wearing sunglasses protect the delicate skin around your eyes from the sun, but it'll also help prevent frowning, which contributes directly to wrinkling.

Sleep on your back
Sleep on your back with a flat pillow to prevent sleep lines, which can eventually turn into wrinkles.

Stop smoking 
Heavy smokers are almost five times more likely to show excessive wrinkling than non-smokers. Smoking can damage collagen, and the frowning and lip pursing that comes with smoking directly creates wrinkles over time.

Control your facial expressions
More animated expressions mean more creases, and creases eventually become wrinkles. Don't stop smiling or laughing, however. A genuine smile causes crows' feet around your eyes but the power of sincere joy over wrinkles may be stronger than the effects of not smiling.

I'm thinking Botox and Fillers again.
Be happy
Being in a happy relationship and having an optimistic, laid back approach to life can help to prevent wrinkles. At the very least, being happy will help you to accept your wrinkles as a natural and normal sign of growing older!

See a doctor
This is more like it. Prescription retinoic acid can minimise the appearance of wrinkles, whilst horizontal forehead lines or crows' feet can be injected with botulinum toxin (botox). Deep wrinkles may need filler injections. Bear in mind, however, that invasive treatments frequently have negative side-effects.

And a HUGE Happy Birthday to my eldest.  Today she is nine years old and first day of Grade 3!  Sucks to have to start school on yer birthday!  Bummer.

Cake for breakfast.

Happy Birthday My Wee Button!

8 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I smile a lot. But I can't sleep on my back.
xoRobyn

Outsourced Communications said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter (we share the same birthday so of course she is awesome!)

Wrinkles? Mine are hidden by freckles. Compensation for the teasing I had to endure when younger.

Tami said...

Creative and informative. Great combination! I can't sleep on my back, but I do sleep on my side. Does that mean only one side will get wrinkles? ;-)

Mike Smith said...

You don't look a day over 39...

cyn said...

grrrrrrrrr @ wrinkles & sadly all those things you listed that i should & shouldn't do -- i didn't & did!

i would get botox in a heartbeat but it's wayyyyy more expensive than i anticipated!

happiest birthday to the little one!

xxoo!

WhisperingWriter said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

I have cake for breakfast quite often..

junebug said...

I've never considered lipo mostly because I hate needles. However, if I manage to lose this weight I'm trying to lose I would consider the extra skin removal surgery if it was necessary for my arms. I would like to wear spaghetti straps again.

PS I turn 40 in 6 months, too!!! Yeah!!! We should throw a big blog party and say Fuck You to Forty. :-)

Wrinkles said...

Really a very good information on wrinkles . Majority of information given on this topic is true and is effective to implement

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails