Friday, 10 February 2012

Friday Follower, a Shoegasm and a Dukan Diet Update


This week's featured Friday Follower is Heather.  A courageous mother, wife and survivor of mesothelioma cancer.

I was born an optimist. I have spent my whole life looking on the bright side and I've gotten more out of life because of that. I was on top of the world when my only child was born, at the age of 36. Just three and a half months later, I was plunged into the darkest time period of my life when I was diagnosed with a deadly form of cancer. Seeing the good in everything, looking for hope in the darkest situation, is what got me through and helped me gain from my cancer, instead of sing.


My diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma came on Nov 21, 2005. Like every other young, healthy person, the diagnosis put me in shock. It took me a while to get a hold on the reality of the diagnosis, but once I did, I realized I had a choice. I could give up. That would be easier, more realistic, wouldn't it? Or I could fight this with everything that I have to the last. And that's what I decided, because I am an optimist, willing to look for the best in everything, and because I am a mother, with an unbreakable desire to be there for my daughter.

While cancer is an undeniably terrible thing, there is a good side. Not exactly a good side, but all of the bad brings about good things. It changes you, and if you are an optimist, it will change you for the better. Cancer forever changed who I am, for the better. I believe the positive change came from my attitude towards the cancer and all that happened because of it. I refused to be a victim, refused to be afraid. I didn't focus on myself, but looked for how my cancer could help other cancer patients. I decided to live in a way that gives others hope with mesothelioma.

I was referred to the world's leading mesothelioma doctor, who gave me hope in a way that I could in turn give to others. My surgery to remove the tumor was on Groundhog Day, 2006, so I called my tumor Punxsutawney Phil. Ever since then, we've called Groundhog Day "Lungleavin's Day," because that's when I said goodbye to my lung. Every February we celebrate it, celebrating life, conquering fear and finding the good we hoped we'd find in the bad. We celebrate optimism. We celebrate hope.

Cancer brought so many amazing people into my life, the warriors and optimists who have faced mesothelioma as well. The fighters, the believers, those who hope and work to give others hope. Cancer changed my life, but it is these people who truly helped me change it for the better. 

Now go and visit Heather's blog and show her some love.

Some pretties for my Plonkers!  Take my button, link up and share your gorgeous pumps.


Christian Louboutins Yummy $127
Discounted Christian Louboutins $135.00
Elopment Pumps $340

Pumps
Blush by Silver Doe


7 comments:

Nolens Volens said...

She's an amazing woman!

G-Man said...

Jillie Bean...
Fuck You!!!
G :P

Vale said...

Beautiful pics!!!i'm following you!!!if you like mine, do the same!!
WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM
ZAGU FACEBOOK PAGE
bloglovin follower

cyn said...

i adore you -- you are doing amazing!!! and YES a girl DOES need to get her wine on every now & again in order to keep the sanity!

keep rockin' it mama!!!

xxoo

Babes Mami said...

loooove the blush shoe!

jenette or more commonly known as "j" said...

Woo hoo! Way to go! SO JEALOUS that watermelon is in season. That is my FAVOURITE!

Self Sagacity said...

The last one, I can't wear, but would love to have for decorations. What a beauty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails