Wednesday, 3 April 2013

C is for Crabbit

"Crabbit"

Pronounced: crab-it

Definition: Old Scottish slang for grumpy, ill-tempered or miserable or a person who doesn't watch Conan O'Brien (just kidding - kinda).  One who by their nature or temperament conveys an aura of irritability.
Fir jis 5 Quid!

Usage: Don't bite ma head af ye crabbit old bitch!

Translation :  Please do not speak with such poisonous anger.

Origin: The earliest known use of the word is in connection with inheritance. Ane crabbit - 2 shillings.

The Cairngorms are a mountain range in the eastern Highlands of Scotland closely associated with the mountain of the same name—Cairn Gorm.   This mountain range is famous for its fucking rockin skiing and winter resorts.

A funicular railway opened here in late 2001, running from a base station at 637 metres up to the Ptarmigan Centre, situated at 1097 metres, 150 metres from the summit of Cairn Gorm. It was built amidst some controversy, with supporters of the scheme claiming that it would bring valuable tourist income into the area, whilst opponents argued that such a development was unsuitable for a supposedly protected area.



The Cairngorms
Another funny guy


17 comments:

Paula said...

I am loving your posts. I am pretty sure I am a crabbit! This is so fun.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Paula Crabbit is a perfect word to use when we're PMSing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Beautiful area!
And I know some crabbits...

Ghadeer said...

Haha I love Robin Williams! And crabbit sounds like an excellent word to describe grumpy people..

YeamieWaffles said...

I actually don't think that I've ever heard the word crabbit before Lass but I like it and I have a feeling that I'm going to be gladly using it again.

Mama J said...

I suspect I am a crabbit at times. In fact, I'm pretty certain of it.

Jamie Dement (LadyJai) said...

Love your posts! I can never get too much of this country! and BTW, we say crabby here in the US...meaning the same. :)

Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
WriteBackwards

Joshua said...

Crabbit sounds like it describes me perfectly.

Tracy Moore said...

Nice word! Hope I'm not a crabbit, but I bet I am sometimes. ;)

Andrew Leon said...

Now I have Yosemite Sam stuck in my head.

Zoe said...

Crabbit sounds like something you might find in a Louisiana swamp. Or our house.

Bonnie said...

Love the snow capped mountains! Also love that Robin Williams bit. :)

middle child said...

So basically what a Crabbit is...is what we call a Crab Ass. Got it!
BTW - Beautiful Mountain Range!!!

The Glebe Blog said...

I've known a few crabbit folk in my time. They used to say it was the pit dust that caused it, but my granfaither came to be known as 'Crabbit Bob' late in life. He was even worse in drink !
I always love to watch that Robin Williams clip

David Macaulay said...

hmm have certainly met some Crabbits north of the border - nice post re the Cairngorms..

J.L. Campbell said...

Interesting and yes, I do like that word. We use the word here to refer to someone uncouth and/or miserable.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Damn, that's funny.
Heather

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails