Tuesday, 9 April 2013

H is for Humph

Hey beautiful Plonkers.....today's Scottish word is :

"Humph"

Pronounced: hum-f



Definition: v. the act of carrying something heavy or a heavy burden.


Usage: “Yer punishment and yer curse for dissin yer betters is tae humph yer in-law an her dug up iviry Corbett in the land. An think yersel lucky I dinnie mak it Munros anaw. 

Translation : I do not believe for a second weightlifting is a sport. They pick up a heavy thing and put it down again. To me, that's indecision.

And the gorgeous wee place in Scotland that I'm featuring is Hoy. Hoy is an island in Orkney, Scotland. With an area of 143 square kilometres it is the second largest in the archipelago after the Mainland. It is connected by a causeway called The Ayre to South Walls. 

Hoy, Scotland

Quaint wee Hoy, hoi up in the Scottish Highlands.  (Did I hear you groan?)



18 comments:

Heather M. Gardner said...

I wish it hadn't taken me so long to find you!

I'm going back to see what I missed!

Heather

Paula said...

Love it! I'll be speakin' like a Scot by the time we get to Z

Andrew Leon said...

I hope "P" is plonkers, because I'd like to know what I'm being called. :P

Brett Minor said...

I love it. I'm an English Language teacher, so I love this stuff.

Returning visit from A to Z.

Transformed Nonconformist

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

LOL! Your translation is hilarious!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like indecision to me!

The Glebe Blog said...

I'm glad ye never went fir the obvious....haggis, you'd have looked a puddin !
Yer gettin plenty of response to yer haiverin onyway

Susan Scott said...

och and aye ... and the comments are wondrous too!
Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

Jenny said...

Thanks for the laughs! I'm going to go back now and see what I've missed. Looking forward to the rest of A to Z, too.

Jenny at Choice City Native

Me said...

Loved that translation. Good one. :)

Andrea said...

Oooh, I didn't know it was a verb...so many more possibilities!

Daniel B. said...

Great word...and I'm gonna find a way to work it into conversation today.

Al Diaz said...

That's an awesome background in the picture!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We so wanted to visit the isles when we were in Scotland, but Inverness was as far north as we ventured.

Rowena said...

Very funny! Hoy looks like a lovely place to go if I ever manage to get to Scotland.

Mary Kirkland said...

Loved him, he was funny. Plus I love his accent.

Dark Thoughts Blog

YeamieWaffles said...

Hoy sounds just amazing Lass, I would love to visit there sometime! Great post, I tend to make that noise when I'm in a bad mood and not wanting to talk although I probably grunt like that a lot when I'm at gym haha, not going to lie!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Heather @Jenny you're so sweet, thanx for poppin in.

@Paula that's the whole point, innit?

@Andrew you'll have to wait and see...

@Brett thanx for visiting and commenting

@Kellie @Me I aim to please, sweetie

@Alex @Susan :-)

@Jim Haggis is way overrated. Blah!

@Andrea endless

@Daniel and did ye manage it?

@Rowena phone me up when you're ready to go.

@Mary you can keep the accent but he is really funny

@Matthew humphin' those heavy weights, I'm not surprised!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails