Friday, 26 April 2013

W is for Wallies

"Wallies"

 Pronounciation : wa-lees

Definition :  Scottish slang for False Teeth.

Usage :  Ma gran sez ahl get granpaw’s wallies when he pegs-oot.

Translation :  My grammar sucks.  Specially when she's not got her false teeth in.

Wigtownshire or the County of Wigtown is a registration county in Galloway in the Southern Uplands of south west Scotland.  Home to Garthland Castle,  Castle of St. John and Wigtown Castle.  Torehousekie Stone Circle dates from the 2nd millennium BC, this is one of the best preserved sites in Britain. The circle is approx. 60 feet in diameter and comprises 19 stones up to 5 feet high.

Wigtownshire


14 comments:

millvallison: mary allison tierney said...

Well done! I have an award for you at more...Millvallison

Brandon Ax said...

Loved the vid, 10 minutes well spent.

Mo said...

Are you in Scotland on holiday or just missing the place

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Wallies are false teeth? Huh, here it's a stupid person.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Beautiful area. And I learned a new word today!

Andrew Leon said...

"My grammar sucks"! That was awesome!

Pat Hatt said...

New word for me too.

Paula said...

I must get a hold of my husband's wallies today and brush them for him LOL! I love your blog

YeamieWaffles said...

Over here a wally is somebody who isn't too bright or makes a bad mistake haha, this is funny Lass!

Nancy Jardine said...

Glaswegian born my translation of getting the wallies might differ a bit from yours. And yes, he's a right wally... is very different from he's got nice wallies. My post for A ot Z is coincidentally 'Walls R Us'. Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Scotland is just so beautiful.

Jo said...

Yeah, I would have said stupid person too.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

The Glebe Blog said...

Wigtownshire is also the home of Munchie and the Kid of The Glebe Blog.
I was still exiled in England when I first started watching 'Chewin the Fat'. Half the sassenachs didnae ken whit they were laughin at.

Kristen Dyrr said...

LOL to the wallies! And I love the video.

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails