Friday, 5 April 2013

E for Eejit

"Eejit"

Pronunciation: ee·jit

Definition :  n. idiot, simpleton, one not possessed of all their mental faculties; one who is unable to properly conduct their own affairs.

Usage :  I'm no lettin' Rab borrow my fucking XBOX!  That eejit ill wreck it! 

Translation: The ring of death on my XBOX left me with fuck all else to do. 

Origin : Made popular by Brian Friel's "Translations".

Pretty and picturesque, Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and seat of the Scottish Parliament and Government. Located in the south-east of Scotland, on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth.  Home to the annual and infamous Edinburgh Festival.

Each August the city hosts the biggest annual international arts festival in the world.  This includes the Edinburgh International Festival, Edinburgh Festival Fringe and the Edinburgh International Book Festival. Other festivals are held throughout the year, such as the Science FestivalFilm Festival and Jazz and Blues Festival. Other annual events include the brilliant Hogmanay Street Party and Beltane.

Edinburgh
The YouTube Eejit Show

 

18 comments:

Paula said...

I had to laugh out loud at this one! My uncle called us all eegits when we were kids. Didn't know until now it was a Scottish word!

Ghadeer said...

I know this one :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Eejit!! I like that word.
I've been to Edinburgh several times. Awesome city and so much to see and do. And one of the coolest castles in the world.

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

Bobby calls Sam and Dean this word all the time in the show "Supernatural".

S. L. Hennessy said...

I want to go to Edinburgh sooooo bad. And one day I swear I will.

Happy A through Z blogging.
pensuasion.blogspot.com

YeamieWaffles said...

Love this word eejit Lass haha, I used to use it pretty often! Edinburgh is awesome too, been there a few times and enjoyed it, there's lots to see, it's unfair that Glasgow gets so much attention.

Al Diaz said...

That picture of Edinburgh is great for a postcard! Must be beautiful to visit.
Thanks for visiting the dragon cave. Have a wonderful Friday!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Paula I'm loving your wee blog. Thanx for poppin in again!

@Ghadeer Yipeeee!

@Alex Edinburgh is brilliant and so full of history and life!

@Michael not a show I watch but I might have to give it a go now

@Hennesey Lemmie know when you wanna go, we can go together.

@Matthew Glasgow- blah!

@Al Diaz Had a great Friday, thanx

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Edinburgh is beautiful. We visited in 1999 and stayed several days. We even visited Hollyrod Palace on the anniversary of one of Queen Mary's trusted servants and the blood stains are still on the floor. The guide asked if anyone wanted to spend the night since it was the anniversary of the guy's death. There were no takers.

Jackie said...

Liked your examples of using the word eejit. Cracked me up!
Gorgeous pic of Edinburgh.

G-Man said...

Jildo...
Me Family's clan hails from Edinborough.

And BTW....Fuck You!!

Andrew Leon said...

And here I thought eejit was a Southern word.

Al Penwasser said...

I know quite a few eejits.
Or, their American cousins: idjits.

LuAnn said...

What a crazy word. Stopping by

Claire Hennessy said...

Love that word, so evocative. Also I've never been to Edinburgh and am desperate to go to the Fringe. One day ...

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

Love it! I think I'll start using that word.
A2Z Mommy And What’s In between

Unknown said...

Eejit is one of my favourite words. Sometimes I extend it out and say 'you eeeeejiut'

Heather M. Gardner said...

We actually use that in US (in NY) all the time.

Heather

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails