Thursday, 4 April 2013

D is for Dreich

"Dreich"

Pronounced : dre-eech

Definition:  adj. drab, dreary often referring to the weather or a sermon.  Dreich often leads to a state of being drookit;  grey.

Usage :  Aye, pishin' o' rain again, Jimmy. The weather is always dreich 'n drookit in Ayrshire.  

Translation : It's so cold in Scotland that even the local flasher was forced to "describe" himself.

Origin: Middle English, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse drjūgr lasting.  First Known Use: 1813.


Adorable wee Dumfries is a market town and former royal burgh within the Dumfries and Galloway council area of Scotland. It is near the mouth of the River Nith into the Solway Firth. Dumfries was the county town of the former county of Dumfriesshire.

Dumfries
 How fucking cute is this?

14 comments:

Zoe said...

I miss scotland! I looked up my pictures of Dumfries...I have a pic of myself on the steps of that tower. Great place. Love your blog.

Paula said...

We had a very dreich day here in Kansas in the USA.

moondustwriter said...

So great to see you at A to Z

hope all is well in your part of the world

smiles from the moon

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

Dumfries looks just beautiful. Would li e to see it.

A Beer For The Shower said...

This word describes our state perfectly. I hear that it's supposed to be spring, and yet it's been gray and snowy for months.

Also, I never thought I'd sit through a full video about Scottish sock puppets singing that terrible song... and yet, I did. And I was genuinely entertained.

Claire Hennessy said...

Can you sodding believe it, it is dreiching with rain in sunny California today! What a fab word.

YeamieWaffles said...

Here's another Scottish word I've never heard before, really letting myself down here! I've actually been to Dumfries and absolutely loved it all the times I went, just wonderful little place to spend the day, I remember visiting the Viking Centre haha!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I really dig your translations!

miss uncertain said...

I hope I can visit Scotland someday and skii on The Cairngorms. Looking forward to the rest of your posts!I'm also part of A-Z Challenge. Good luck in A-Z-ing!


Sincerely,Miss Uncertain---sidetracked

Amy Jarecki said...

Love it...and the heels!

Maggie Winter said...

I got married in Scotland, Kippen near Stirling, love Scotland. Happy A to Z, see you soon.

J.Day said...

Certainly sums up our weather!! Bleh.

Bushman said...

I can attest to dreary. Hell of a winter we had here. bring on the tulips. Preferrably NOT on my piano!
The High Cost of this Low Living

Heather M. Gardner said...

Too funny.
HMG

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails