Wednesday, 10 April 2013

I is for Irn Bru

"Irn Bru"

Prounounced: eye-irn-bro

Definition: n. a Scottish carbonated soft drink, often describes as "Scotland's other "national drink" (after whiskey, of course) Its fizzy, it's ginger, it's Phenomenal! Nectar of the Gods and the ultimate hangover cure. I shite you not!

Fun Fact : Did you know that Scotland is the only place that Coca-Cola is not the most popular fizzy drink?

Usage: Geeza sook eh yer voddies 'n Irn Bru, Jimmy. Ah'd raether just hae the Irn-Bru.

Translation: You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

Origin: Irn-Bru was first produced in 1901, in the town of Iron Brew.

And the braw city beginning with the letter I is Inverness. Inverness is another city in the Scottish Highlands. It is the administrative centre for the Highland council area, and is regarded as the capital of the Highlands of Scotland. Inverness is also known by its nicknames Inversnecky or The Sneck, with its inhabitants traditionally as "Clann Na Cloiche" "Children of the Stone"



Inverness

Here are the top 7 television adverts for Irn Bru. Fucking Hysterical, Plonkers.



Just when you thought I was done with the Letter I, I came across this gold nugget.



26 comments:

YeamieWaffles said...

I love Iron Bru Lass! It actually tastes so delicious and I can genuinely see the appeal to it. WKD did an Iron Bru flavour for a while and possibly still do so during my chav drinking days it was my drink of choice, so tasty!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can't remember if I had one or not when I was there. Coke can't dominate everywhere.

jesstopper said...

I have been LOVING your A to Z - I can almost hear this post in my head (with a perfect Scottish Burr) but I don't know if I could dare try it aloud! :) Love the AyePod!

Jess/ Blogging on the Brink

Matthew MacNish said...

Now THIS sounds tasty!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Matthew So Phenomenal!

@MacNish It sooooo is.

@jessstopper you should go check out my vlogs then. Thanx for stopping by.

@Ninjalex but it pretty much does.

Mandy Bohgan said...

lol love the adverts! My workmates a Scottish and I have been keeping her posted about your a to z Scottish dialect!

Claire Hennessy said...

I hate the taste of it, but after watching those hysterical ads, I may just force myself to like it!

Rebeccah Giltrow said...

I don't think I've ever had Irn Bru. The toxic orange colour scares me!

Damyanti said...

Love the usage of the words and the translation!

Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
AZ blogs on Social Media

Mary Kirkland said...

I'm learning all sorts of stuff I didn't know.

Dark Thoughts Blog

Tami Von Zalez said...

No. 7 advert is a HOOT!

All righty then, off to buy my Ayepod.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Andrew Leon said...

Well, now, I want to try that even though I don't drink soda anymore.

Paula said...

Sounds yummy!

Susan Scott said...

Och and aye, a very lovely post thank you! The eye pad is hilarious!

I must show the husband .. his father, grandfather were wee Scotsmen as was my late grandma - I am so pleased to have the blud.

Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Not drunk if you're not holding on - LOL!! I'm going to use that one next time.

Me said...

I want this! Sounds tasty.

millvallison: mary allison tierney said...

love this. i am learning so much about my heritage. my Scottish ancestors settled in Texas of all places 7 generations ago.

Andrea said...

Mmmmmm...I go like ginger ale, and ginger mojitos aren't bad either!

Al Penwasser said...

By 'whiskey,' I assume you mean 'Scotch Whiskey'...?
The first time I had Scotch was when I was stationed in Iceland and we hosted what was called "Robert Burns Night." Our guests were a couple aircrews from RAF Kinloss and they brought pipers, haggis, and, of course, Scotch. I loved them all (yes, even the haggis....although I did have a few wee drams of Scotch beforehand).

David Macaulay said...

an institution but hardly ever see it outside Scotland

Maggie Winter said...

So good, I'm an irn bru fan and like the wkd, the shame. can't get either in Brazil.
#atozchallenge
maggie winter

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

I've always wanted to try it, but I doubt they sell it here in Australia. Oh well, I'll have to stick with Coke.

Susanne Svalefelt said...

Irn Bru is lovely!!!! They sell it a lot in Ireland too, and we usually get some when we go there.

mauijungalow.com said...

Love the "ayePod" too funny.

Ida Chiavaro said...

After reading your posts - I'm tempted to add a scottish character to my story - that no-one understands... ever - This is good keech!

Joe Lunievicz said...

Irn Bru - hysterical.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails