Saturday, 13 April 2013

L is for Loch Ness

"Lug"

Pronounced : lugg


Meaning : n. an ear, the organ that detects sound.


Usage :  Ye wee rascal, c'mere so your mirra kin gie ye a skelpit lug.


Translation: Tired of domestic violence? Go out with a Liverpool player, they never beat anyone.


Origin : Lug has been recorded with the meaning 'ear' since the fifteenth century, and one of the earliest examples is found in the name or nickname of 'Michael blaklug' in the Burgh records of Aberdeen.


One of the best known places in Scotland, Loch Ness is a large, deep, freshwater loch in the Scottish Highlands extending for approximately 37 km southwest of Inverness. Its surface is 15.8 m above sea level.  Loch Ness is best known for the sightings of the cryptozoological Loch Ness Monster, also known affectionately as "Nessie".


Lock Ness

19 comments:

Daniel B. said...

Love it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been there! Magical place.

stfu4abetterrelationship said...

I love myths like Nessie and Big Foot. When I was younger I was sure they'd have proven the naysayers wrong by now. lol

http://STFU4ABetterRelationship.WordPress.com

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

That video was hilarious! Mean, but hilarious!

Paula said...

Intriguing!

Mary Kirkland said...

That video is too funny! I've always love the Nessie stories.

Dark Thoughts Blog

Susanne Svalefelt said...

What a cute Loch Ness monster, lol! I'd love to go there! Has the area been very exploited and commercial? I've seen this happen to many famous places in Ireland, sadly.

YeamieWaffles said...

I love Loch Ness although I've been scared by the thought of seeing the monster haha! Great post Lass, love the use of the word lugs.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Some of them were laughing as they ran out!

We visited England and Scotland in 1999 and the best day was our trip to Loch Ness.

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

I'd like to visit loch ness. I don't believe a monster lives there.

Andrea said...

Nessie sounds much friendlier than Loch Ness Monster!

sassyspeaks said...

been to Scotland but not there - love scotlland

Al Penwasser said...

Now THAT'S a summer job I'd love.

Laura Eno said...

Haven't been to Scotland yet but I need to get there! :)

Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

Joe Lunievicz said...

I visited last year and a few times since. You've got a great sense of humor and voice. Love the posts!

Zoe said...

We have CHamp in Vermont but I think its just Nessie envy!

Arlee Bird said...

I'm a skeptic, but I like to believe there is a Loch Ness Monster.

Lee
A Faraway View
An A to Z Co-host blog

The Glebe Blog said...

Back in Fife in the 50's/60's there was a line among the would be lotharios of teenage years which went 'Goan tae the dancin, see if I get a burd an a chance tae let Nessie loose'
I never understood it !
I still haven't fathomed it. LOL no pun intended.
P.S Cumberland Gap was popular as well.

DiscConnected said...

This is fekkin' hilarious!!

I have only spent two days in Scotland (in Edinburgh on business), and my free time was spent on Rose Street (until about 5 am-the drunkest I have ever been!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails