Saturday, 20 April 2013

R is for Reek

"Reek"

Pronunciation: ree-k

Definition: adj. Smell, stink, to give off or emit a strong unpleasant odour

Usage: Lang may yer lum reek.

Translation: I'm trying to give up my two worst habits at the moment smoking and masturbation, but I'm really struggling as I'm a 20-a-day man, and I smoke like a chimney!

Origin: Auld ReekieThe Old Town of Edinburgh had open sewers and the stench was awful. Hence Auld Reekie - Old Smelly


Renfrewshire is one of 32 council areas of Scotland. Located in the west central Lowlands, it is one of three council areas contained within the boundaries of the historic county of Renfrewshire, the others being East Renfrewshire to the east and Inverclyde to the west.

Home to some of the prettiest castles abd ruins including Belltrees Peel, Johnston Castle and Polnoon Castle





16 comments:

J Keith said...

Haha.. visiting from the a-z challenge and found your site very entertaining!

Paula said...

We say Reek here the same way!

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Twenty a day man *snicker*

Willow said...

Good Gawd had to watch the Alud Reekie underworld video right before my bedtime didn't I.
The covers are moving and I am smelling a deathly unpleasant odor, it "reeks" really ~ Blimey how such a small dog can release so much gas is beyond me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've taken the tour through Edinburgh's underworld. Very eerie and creepy.

Andrea said...

Now this word I know (first hand at times, sadly)

The Glebe Blog said...

At this precise moment there are emissions from my 'erse' that totally reek. I hope they dont get on to the internet !
Hey maybe that's not a bad idea. We've all heard of 'Scratch and Sniff', the first person to come up with 'Surf and Sniff' will be worth a fortune.

Jo said...

Lang may yer lum reek is something we say every Hogmany.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Pat Hatt said...

So what came first, the smoking or the masturbation?

YeamieWaffles said...

This is an insult that I would hate to receive haha, not going to lie Lass, absolutely would hate being told I reek, it's quite common here too.

Brandon Ax said...

When I hear this word I always think of the character Reek from The Song of Ice and Fire.(Game of Thrones.)

sassyspeaks said...

funny example lol

Kern Windwraith said...

Well, that cheered up my afternoon. *snickering like a 12-year old*

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The video was fascinating!

Kristen Dyrr said...

Now reek is a word I know well! As in, my dad's shed always reeks of smoke, and my dog's breath reeks at the moment. :)

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Kristen buy yer doggies a toothbrush!

@L.Diane I also enjoyed the video.

@Kern glad I could cheer someone up.

@sassyspeaks thanx :-)

@Brandon I have heard things about Game of Thrones - both the books and the films - but I've never gotten around to it.

@Matthew urgh! reeky arse.

@Pat I'll leave that up to you to decide. I can't reveal all my secrets.

@Jo us too!

@Jim overshare! Scratch 'n Sniff is a BAD idea!

@Andrea Sadly? tell us the story..

@Ninjalex looks like it could be a good laugh

@Willow Are you sure its the small dog's fault?

@Kellie glad I could make you giggle

@Paula reeky is a brilliant word.

@J.Keith thanx for visiting....








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails