Friday, 19 April 2013

Q is for Quine

"Quine"

Pronounciation: kwain

Definition : used a fair bit back in certain parts of Aberdeen, it means “girl” or “lass” and not just young girls.

Usage :  “Hud on you! Are ye a loon or a quine?”

Translation:  Poor Caster, this would have never happened if he had just stuck to tennis.

Origin : Old strong Doric speakers use quine to refer to auld grannies.

The teeny wee village of Quarff is today's Scottish town..  Quartff is situated in the beautiful Shetland Islands in Scotland and is 5 miles south of Shetland's only town, Lerwick.  Twenty-five years ago, Easter Quarff had 12 crofts and 28 houses; by 2004 there were over 70 dwellings. Wester Quarff, however, has remained fairly constant with thirteen dwellings in small clusters.

Quarff
 Yip boring old Letter Q so I thought I'd throw in a bonus video to make your lips curl into an upside down rainbow.

17 comments:

Brandon Ax said...

The video indeed made me smile, and nice word for Q.

Paula said...

A quine huh?

Willow said...

She was quite the cheeky video quine ... weren't she! ;)

Mo said...

Add a scottish accent to these odd words and the rest of us haven't a clue what youre on about

A Daft Scots Lass said...

@Mo I guess next year I'll go with a more universal theme.

@Willow indeed she is.

@Paula :-)

@Brandon thanx for poppin in and saying Hi. will visit soon.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shetland Islands isn't in danger of overpopulation, is it?
And somehow A Daft Scots Quine just don't have the same ring to it.

kmckendry said...

I love your theme! I'm always looking to add strange new words to my vocabulary!

Quarff seems beautifully serene.

Arlee Bird said...

Hearing new words for sure, but don't know how often I'll be using them. Unless of course I end up in Scotland one day.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

The Glebe Blog said...

On the subject of 'Loons'(I know it's quine today, but you did mention loon) A comedy trio called 'Scotland the what' kept us laughing with the wonderful Aberdeen accent for years.
Sadly one of the trio Steve Robertson died a couple of years ago.
Look them up on Youtube, there's quite a few sketches there.

Pat Hatt said...

Does Quine rhyme with Swine? Hmm not something I shall use just in case.

YeamieWaffles said...

I think that you've done an amazing job with the letter Q Lass, I worried that you'd struggle with the village/town so it was cool to see the addition of Quarff haha! Really glad you've taken part in the challenge this year in all honesty, love seeing your posts coming up constantly on my blog feed!

Al Penwasser said...

Beautiful picture of that house next to the snowy looking hill. I'm guessing not much shorts-wearing in that neighborhood...?

Jai said...

This is so fun to learn new words.
Picture is beautiful

C. Kirk said...

Loved the video. The little boys (loons?) will never be the same after that experience!

Chontali Kirk
chontalikirk.blogspot.com

Liz said...

I've got to try that one out. I'll get double takes.

History Sleuth said...

Hysterical video. God, I do so love BBC comedy and dramas.

I like your blog post. I did some land research once in a place called Chicken, Alaska-- population 37, and that was during tourist season.

History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

Kristen Dyrr said...

I'm just glad this was all spelled out in a blog post, or I wouldn't understand a word of it. :) Very entertaining, and funny video too.

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails