Thursday, 18 April 2013

P is for Peely Wally

"Peely Wally"

Pronounciation : pili-wali

Definintion: Not looking wellLooking unhealthy; under the weather.  

Sick, pale and pastey (that would probably include most of the fucking people from the UK, actually)

Usage: Yer awfy peely-wally lookin the day, wis the polisman roon at your hoose?"

Translation:  All you need are colored eye contacts and you could be albino!
The teeny weeny Peebles is a burgh in the committee area of Tweeddale, in the Scottish Borders, lying on the River Tweed. According to the 2001 Census, the population was 8,159.  Initially a market town, Peebles played a role in the woollen industry of the Scottish Borders up until the 1960s.

Pretty Peebles

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice area!

Jo said...

Love it. Reminds me of the Dr. Knox joke we used to tell years ago, with a Scottish accent of course. Should have been following you before, not sure why I wasn't.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Willow said...

Oh Gawd... Jack and Victor sipping urine for holistic reasons had me a bit Peely Wally fer sure ~ it did. Sticking to my coffee enemas ;)

Hanna & Christel said...

lovely blog!

<3

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

Speechless!

But only because your posts are awesome

DiscConnected said...

The real definition of this phrase was nowhere near what I was thinking....and that's all I am sayin'

Paula said...

Such good words!

Andrea said...

Oooh, I like this one!

Sam said...

Brillant! I love how you define these fun words and phrases.

Liz said...

Peely Wally? I might just have to try to work that into conversation, just for the strange stares I'll get. Thanks.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The houses look so cute!

Jay Noel said...

That video was so funny!

And I vow to use "peely wally" in conversation tomorrow.

Pat Hatt said...

Looking all germ like, blah that would make my ocd strike haha

The Glebe Blog said...

Yer lookin peely wally,
ye need a holiday.
ye book a flight tae Benidorm, a chance tae get away.

The sangria, the sunshine,the nightlife - feeling great, till the rumble in yer belly "Is it sumthin that a ate"

Back tae Prestwick, easy Jet, yer hame and whit dae they say...................................................................
Yer lookin peely wally,
ye need a holiday.

YeamieWaffles said...

This seems like the kind of saying that's hard to use in real life, I've never heard of it either which doesn't help, I love the Scot phrases you're coming up with Lass haha!

Margot said...

Hi,
Stopping by from A-Z your Scottish theme is a fun one to my American ears. I'd like to visit Peebles and take my camera and my paints. What a pretty town.

Have a great A-Z
Margot at A Devotional Mosaic and Spark My Creativity

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails