Friday, 2 September 2011

Friday Follower # 6 and a Shoegasm



Mot Buchanan is an entertainer with a twist.  He is an artist who makes a living being a Professional Balloon Maker and Magician and an all-round nice bloke.
Here's MOT's story...

I started blogging when a friend of mine started a blog to track his progress on a diet and exercise program he was on.  He said that by making it public and gathering the followers that he did, that it made him feel accountable to them and that he kept working at the diet so he didn’t feel like he’d let anyone down. I’ve never been known as a guy that finishes a project on time. I’ve got some pretty nasty ADD and that means that I often get about 70% done with a project and something else catches my attention and I walk away. 
My office is a graveyard to projects that only need a little more time to finish. I decided to present my blog as a challenge to myself. The goal is to post a brand new balloon design every day for a year; It forces me to keep working on and improving my work. I’ve noticed a big leap in the quality of the balloons I’m handing out to kids as a result.
My favorite thing about what I do it the fact that I get to have genuine and interesting conversations with strangers several times a day. I get to hear stranger’s stories, meet unique people, and get paid to entertain.

I’m putting myself back through school right now; I’m going back for a degree in Early Childhood Education. My goal is to find work as an elementary school teacher. I think I’ve developed the proper skill sets to be successful in that career.

I’m a weird guy. 

While my friends are talking about last night’s game, I’m working on new balloon designs. While they are arguing over their fantasy drafts, I’m building new props for my magic shows. While they’re working their normal jobs, I’m driving the next state over to put on a show for a bunch of children that includes me climbing inside of a 6 foot balloon.

Your favourite place in the world?
I haven’t been there yet… but I’d love to spend some time in Ireland and Scotland.  I’m Scots Irish, and I’d love to spend time walking around my family’s old stomping grounds. Until I can make that trip though, I’m going to have to say Las Vegas.  I fall in love with Vegas again every time. 

I’m on the road a lot, so I go through a lot of audio books. I just finished The Black Company series by Glen Cook, and I’m about to start the latest book in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  I’ve gone through phases where I’m reading a lot… I had a year when I was buying 3-5 books a week. I like audio books because I’m still getting the stories, but I can be productive while I’m doing it. I can drive to or from my shows, work on my car, get things done in my office… and still enjoy the story.

There is very little music on my iPod. When I was younger music was so dang important to me… now I have no idea what’s going on in that world. I have an iPod stocked with podcasts, audio books, and a few albums from my favorite bands… notably Less Than Jake, 3rd Eye Blind, The High Kings, and any band Chris Thelie is a part of.  

I only ever listen to the music when I’m on the road late at night and I need to stay awake. Otherwise I’m listening to podcasts or burning my way through another series of books.  Audible.com is going to be able to put their kids through college because of me.

I hold the record for most balloons used in making a costume.
There are more romantic comedies in my DVD collection than any other genre of movie. 2nd place is zombie movies. I have an irrational fear and an unhealthy obsession with zombies.

My plan has always been to retire and travel around performing from city to city and write a book about the adventures I get up to and the people I meet. If I could pick anyone to play me in a movie, it would be Will Ferrell. Not only do I think he’s an amazingly talented performer, but he and I have very similar body types. My wife was once very confused when we went to go see Talladega Nights in the theater and she watched the scene where he was running around the race track in his underwear.  She turned to me and said “I’ve see that somewhere…  Wait! That’s what you look like when you’re running around in your underwear! You and Will Ferrell have the same body!”  He may be much older than me… but I am confident he could pull off the performance.

Dinner with three people dead or alive. 
Harry Anderson (Alive) you may recognize him best as the judge from the TV show Night Court. He is the reason I become a magician. This man is my idol. If I were to have dinner with him I’m not sure I’d be able to keep myself from gushing. I aspire to be a comedy magician as talented as he is.
Penn Jillette (Alive) He’s the larger and louder half of Penn and Teller. He and I share a lot of the same opinions on the world and politics; he’s just much more intelligent and well spoken that I am. If I were to have the opportunity to sit down and talk with him I think it would be a real eye opening experience for me.

Stan Lee (Alive) The creator of many of the most famous super heroes in comic books.  I used to own a comic book store, and I grew up a big comic book geek. I would love to sit down with Stan and hear the stories of how he created many of the characters that I grew up reading the stories about.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now?

Milk… a lot of milk. I go through a gallon every day and a half or so. I’m 6’4” though, so it clearly has worked out for me.

What was the last movie you went to see?

Bridesmaids. That was a great flick. I hadn’t seen any previews of it, I had no idea what it was about. Somehow I missed all the media hype about it and went into it completely unprepared. That movie was way more raunchy and disturbing that I would have expected from the plot idea. It had me laughing pretty hard though.
How would you explain a database in three sentences to your eight-year-old nephew?
I don’t know what a database is really… and kids these days are way smarter than I was at that age. I wouldn’t be surprised if this fictional 8 year old could teach me a thing or two about computers.


Featuring Oyee Custom Design Shoes this week.  Who wouldn't want to design their own pair of hand-painted heels all the way from Turkey?  Take the button and lemmie know if you link up, Plonkers.








Have a Brilliant Weekend!  Remember to go Caption My Photo Competition for this week!




FYBF





6 comments:

rebecca said...

I must have those shoes!!!!

G-Man said...

Jillie Bean....
Fuck YOU!!!

The Accidental Somebody said...

Man, I've never seen such amazing balloon animals...he is AWESOME!!

And I wish I had an occasion now and then to wear cool shoes. Always love the ones you post.

:)

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

This puts my balloon snake to shame.

Silverfaerie said...

OMG...shoegasm isn't an exaggeration. <3 <3 <3 Just wish I could wear shoes like that more often.

New GFC follower from the Rockin' Mama Blog Hop Friday. Check me out at:

http://silverfaeries-dragonflies.blogspot.com

Not So Simply Single said...

Damn great shoes chickie....I just rocked some four inch pumps last night at the fashion show I went to last night. It was fun to strut after being with Mr. Shortie for four months and wearing flats...

Life is good!

Love you

Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails