Thursday, 9 April 2015

Hall Rules and Heebie-Jeebie Horsefeathers

I'm going way back in time now...this is almost a cheat post because nothing about this time makes me nostalgic, but I do love watching Downton Abbey.  
This period drama series is set during the Edwardian era and quickly moves through time to include pre- and post World War and then through the swinging twenties.  

The story is not only about the aristocrats and how they live, but more interestingly about the servants and the "downstairs" way of life.

It has such awesome costumes and the polite dialogue is completely foreign in the beginning.  It often makes you think what it would be like to living during those times when women were oppressed and men called all the shots.  Not even your inheritance, as a lady, was secure...land could only be passed on to male heirs.

It was time when high-tea was served by servants in the posh drawing room at the request of a bell and mail arrived by hand.  When women wore gloves and everyone dressed for dinner.  No-one got Half-seas over without getting side-ways glances.  Everything was so sophisticated and formal.  

Servants had strict Hall Rules;  "No Swearing or indecent language while the cloth is on the table" or "No one is to be suffered playing cards in the Hall before 6o'clock in the evening".  If they did they were fine thruppence!

Here's a true story of Life below stairs which is really interesting.  Enjoy!  See you tomorrow.



7 comments:

Candice Petersen said...

I haven't watched Downtown Abbey yet!


CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

DA Cairns said...

I love Downton Abbey. It's hilarious, intriguing and dramatic all at once.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never seen it.
No swearing? You'd never make it there, Lass!

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for posting that video! I watched a bit, but I've saved it to watch in its entirety. I watch DA as well, and really enjoy it, well so far! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Jo said...

Well the 2016 season is the last of the Downton Abbey series. Doesn't surprise me because once WWII arrived, thing changed drastically for the great houses because everyone was called up in a way, the women went into the factories and fields whilst the men fought. I remember my mother driving tractors to pull airplanes around on the airfield and also driving jeeps ferrying VIPs around the airfield too.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I was late finding out about Downton abbey but became hooked a couple of seasons ago. I believe the earlier series were the best. I must look them out.

Al Penwasser said...

I haven't watched it, but I bet I'd like it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails