Friday, 17 April 2015

OMG! It's The Osmonds!

The Osmonds began as a barbershop quartet group with all the older brothers. I think there were five of them and later the younger boys joined, which made them seven in total. They started the band in order to raise money to buy hearing aids for their two oldest brothers, who were born deaf.

Their only sister, Marie, poor wee thing, didn't really sing with her brothers, but she went on to have a successful solo country career.  They grew up a very religious family and were very clean-cut.

Handsome Donny was, by far, the most popular of the brothers and quickly became a heart-throb and front man of the Osmonds.  Later, The Donny and Marie TV show took off, but it only ran for 3 years before they went bankrupt.   

It seems they all went to the same dentist as they all had the same row of shiny, perfectly shaped teeth.  Perhaps that is why they really went bankrupt?  Tooth high in dentist bills...

Although they had  a clean cut image, their family always seemed to be riddled with scandal.

Here's one of Donny and Marie's hits.

 


7 comments:

Suzy said...

How could I not read a post on the Osmonds. You brought back those childhood memories.
Dropping by from the A to Z
Suzy at Someday Somewhere

Jeremy Hawkins said...

I always and still do have on Marie, she is a cute lady... I did lose touch with them in the 80's as I found it was cool to be a fan. Peer pressure was so unfair to the really cool kids like myself.

Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

There's no earthly way of knowing.
Which direction we are going!

HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I confess - I watched the show when it was on.

AJ Lauer said...

Haha They *do* have pretty teeth!
Goodness they had a lot of siblings. I didn't realize there were so many of them.
~AJ Lauer
an A-Z Cohost
@ayjaylauer on Twitter

Ami said...

I went to a birthday party for a girl named Christy Blomberg when I was a 3rd grader. She had a 45 of Donny singing 'Puppy Love'.

I had never heard of him. And when I saw the picture on the envelope with the little record in it, I said, "He looks like a girl."

Christy slapped my face.

David Macaulay said...

I grew up with this show - they seemed to epitomize clean living American family values so interesting re the scandals

Nagzilla said...

Looks like I'm catching up today. Just had to laugh at this because, no joke, I was driving behind a car last week that had a license plate hanger that said "I <3 Donny Osmond" so apparently it's still a thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails