Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Gag Me With A Spoon

Let me take you back to the 80s for the A to Z Blog Challenge Letter G.

The eighties were definitely NOT the best era for flattering fashion.  In fact, the fashions and styles were downright ridiculous and often ugly!

This particular item brings back awesome memories for me. 

I started being a serious gym bunny when I was 17 years old and I haven't stopped since.  If I don't have a gym contract or working out, I feel that something is missing in my life.  I've been through aerobics, step aerobics, calanetics, kata box training, zumba, weight training, circuit training, you name it, I've probably tried it at one time or another.

G-String Leotards
My exercise routine started off doing classic aerobics in the late 80s, when the fashions in the gym were sexy and risqué! 

G-String high-cut skimpy leotards with flesh coloured footless tights, wide coloured belts and head bands and not forgetting the fuzziest, brightest coloured leg warmers you could find. 

Don't forget the LA Gear hi-tops, which any dedicated Gym Bunny just HAD to have, with the same colour laces as your fluffy roll-down socks, of course.  Nothing demure about the eighties! 
LA Gear

Oh yeah, those were the days of Jane Fonda educating us on "feeling the burn" and squeezing our glutes until we thought they'd actually fall right off!

Today's retro music feature is George Michael.  I thought I'd stick with the eighties...

Remember, You Gotta Have Faith! 



14 comments:

Cathy Thorsen said...

I remember my baby sister and her friends odd ensembles: Combat boots with skirts, among other things. Of course, the 70's weren't any less odd in terms of fashion. :)

cat said...

Oh my word! So many memories

Arlee Bird said...

My second wife was into an aerobics regimen. I heard that Jane Fonda work-out tape so many times that I can still hear it playing in my head.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Wrote By Rote

Kimberly Gauthier, The Fur Mom said...

I loved the eighties, but the fashions were truly atrocious. I'm getting back into my gym routine and loving it. I always forget what a good workout does for your mental state.

creativitytothemax said...

Your post brought a flood of memories - some of them that should be "exercised" out of my brain!

Thanks for the flash-backs!

Joan Somers said...

hey don't knock the LA gear high tops!! they were a favorite of mine along with my very padded shoulder blazers. LOL

Jo said...

I remember hearing about Jane Fonda's video but that's it. Never saw any of these fashions. Dreadful.

David Macaulay said...

curiously nostalgic - remembering Pernod and black and making out with girls with big hair and shoulder pads..

Lisa said...

I'm laughing now! I just watched Olivia Newton-John's video "Let's get Physical" and this post goes perfectly with it! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Michele Truhlik said...

Love this post! Yes, 80s fashion sure leaves much to be desired. I remember those gym outfits and I was a Jane Fonda fan all the way!
Michele at Angels Bark

Wendy LaPlaca said...

Oh my God Gillian, look at her butt!

Leg warmers are making a comeback, don't you know? LOL

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me of the gym costumes worn in the 80s. Though I love fashion and was a teen in the 80s, I encounter a disturbing blank when I try to recall the fashion worn at that time. (My subconscious must have decided such memories are too horrific.) I do remember the music and still love it.

I danced ballet in the early 80s and wore the standard costumes from Freed's or Capezio. By mid-to late 80s, I had switched to jazz. My sensibilities did not allow me to wear more than one bright item with black and black or white oversized parachute pants for warm-up. There were no belts or headbands, ever.

Visiting from A to Z
Drusilla Barron
http://lovedasif.com
http://glamofgod.com

Sunni said...

I once got a stress fracture doing aerobics, so it isn't my exercise of choice. Before that I went to aerobics with a friend after work several times a week.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Sandys Jar said...

I remember those days. I was in college and yeah do I say more. Now I do go to the gym, but it is in a t-shirt and sweatpants. I want to work out not have a fashion show.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails