Friday, 3 April 2015

Take A Chill Pill

The Letter C finds us jumping back in time to these...

Kids of today would not understand the relationship between these two items - The Pencil and The Cassette Tape

When your favourite MixTape got eaten up by your Sony Walkman, you opened it up, pulled out the cassette and the miles of tape that the Walkman "ate", you had to insert the pencil between the cogs in the holes and wind the tape back into the cassette manually. 

If you didn't have a pencil or a pen, you used your finger and tore all the skin of your Peter Pointer while doing it.  We often had to do this with our favourite Mix Tapes, because we played them over and over again and the tapes would get stretched.  It was your worst nightmare if you snapped the tape on your favourite U2 cassette.

Sometimes, we even used cellotape to rescue the poor thing.  It always left a muted section on your tape, but it was either that, or chuck the entire tape in the bin?!



Remember Cabbage Patch Kids with their very own Birth Certificate?

Care Bears.  Everyone had a favourite and we used to watched the TV Show every Saturday morning
 
The Cure are today's Retro band.  I used to love Robert Smith, but was always a wee bit put off my his messy hair and smudged red lipstick.  Good toonz though...





7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I had to save many a cassette tape that way. After I while, I got really good with the tape. And if the pencil was just the right size, you could twirl that sucker really fast.

nagzilla said...

I remember all of these! I actually miss my cassettes. And I discovered (thanks to a prank played on me in junior high) that if you put tape over the square holes on the top of a pre-recorded tape? You can tape over it. I know that because some asswipe in gym class taped over part of my Duran Duran Rio tape because he thought it was funny. Dick.

Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

grins said...

I'm still stuck on 33 rpm's with penny's on the arm to prevent skipping on scratched records. I even have an 8 track some where.
Hi, by the way.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I made so many of those tapes! And my daughter still has her favorite Care Bears. Loved their movies too.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I was too old to have a care bear, but I remember the trick with the cassettes. A lot of 8-track issues you could fix by licking the exposed tape.
Life & Faith in Caneyhead
I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
A to Z Challenge

David Macaulay said...

I sort of miss doing that cassette pencil thing - they were so gloriously crap

Danielle said...

We just found a stash of old cassette tapes. No idea what to do with them now. Can't find anything to play them in. Boo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails