Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Ain't Half Hot Mum

Fancy taking part in July's Blog Challenge? 

Go visit Paula's Place to check it out and link up.

Today's Question :  Who inspires you?

That was a soopa easy question to answer.  

My mum as a Teenager
My mum inspires me.  

My mum met her childhood sweetheart when she was 15, she married him at 21 and they have been married for 47 years.  My parents gave up family and friends to move to another country to give us all a better life.  They were very brave to take such a risky chance. 

Oh, there have been times when I didn't like my mum, because of her struggle with addiction.  There have been times where I didn't think she'd be around for too long, because of her downward spiral into the dark places of substance abuse.  

My strong, beautiful mum has pulled herself out of that despair.  She has been sober for nearly 20 years, which deserves a fucking gold badge on its own.  My mum has inspired me to NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.  No matter how bad things get, you CAN turn things around.  

My mum inspires me to be strong and resourceful, to look for the best in people and always look for the good in situations.  It's not always easy because I'm rather a pessimist   I only have to remember one of my mother's many sayings;  Be Sure Your Sins will Find You Out.  Her sayings continuously bring me back to reality and the truth.  My mum's faith is unshakable and she has empathy and kindness for others way beyond my understanding.  Her awesomeness motivates me to be more like her.

If I have inherited an ounce of her inspiring spirit, I'll be content soul.

10 comments:

Jo said...

Nice tribute to your mum

Paula said...

What a wonderful tribute to you mom. She is one lucky lady to have a daughter like you. I am impressed with her pulling herself out of substance abuse. I have a son who struggles with this and it breaks a mother's heart!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your mother sounds like an awesome woman. Very touching you chose her.

YeamieWaffles said...

I adore this post so much, the fact that your mum and dad both met each other at a young age and instantly hit off with each other and have been together ever since is just inspirational and shows that true love can last, your mum sounds like such an amazing influence, I love her just from reading this. You're a credit to her Lass.

The Glebe Blog said...

Growing up post war in Scotland the ethos was 'Work hard, drink hard', sadly many good people couldn't change. I've a rake of relatives 'neath the sod' due to the drink. Top marks to your mum, it's a whole social upheaval to break the custom.
I know, I've been there.

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

awww, what a sweet tribute to your mum, love that. nice to meet you through the July Blog Challenge. enjoy your day. ( :

myinnerchick.com said...

L O V E L Y!

You are both beautiful.

Mina Lobo said...

Congratulations to your mum and to you, for having faith and learning from her. Rock on. :-)

Flora said...

Your mother is beautiful and cheers to her for 20 years of sobriety AND for 47 years of marriage.

Cristy S said...

Wow, your mom is an inspiration!! Kudos to her for overcoming her addiction. I love meeting people who have been together for a long time. That is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails