Friday, 23 December 2011

Cooo-eeee I'm back! User Friendly Beach Holiday - That's what she said!

The long road to the seaside
I'm back in smelly, smoggy Johannesburg and just because you can't smell it doesn't mean the rest of us aren't sufferning.

I missed you guys and I missed my wee blog.

Yeeehaw!  Five days at the Natal South Coast and what a great wee holiday it was.

We arrived at about lunch time on Monday after a 7 hour drive and checked into our large beach flat. We were right on the beach and could hear the waves crashing from our balcony. 

We hardly unpacked and went around to see my mum and dad. My mum was so weak and frail she couldn't even get out of bed to greet us. She looked so pale and exhausted but I still managed to give her a long gentle cuddle, I just didn't squeeze too hard! 
Mum and Kaylin
I had waited a whole year to give her a hug and it was so worth it.

We spent most of the holiday either on the beach or at the pool or just hanging out with my folks, nattering and catching up at at their place.   I always forget how loud our family is and how much we talk. We don't stop and my accent instantly becomes thicker without me even realising it. Hubby always points this out though.

Anyhoover, I had a good chat with both of my parents individually and let them know that they need only ask me for help with anything and I'll be there.   They are not getting any younger and luckily they care for each other at at the moment, but there will come a time when one or both of them will not be able to do these things and then they will need myself and my sister to step in and help.

We are so far away from them and we'd love for them to move back to Johannesburg and be closer but they will NOT hear anything of it right now.

Dilema.

The time will come.

Nevertheless, it was a wicked wee break with loads of relaxing in the sun, playing in the surf and truck loads of special times.

Here are some of the daft pix

On the way to the beach

Palm Beach


My Dad and Kaylin

Family Shot

My Mummy

My folks.  They will be married for 46 years in January!

My Mum posing for the camera

Kaylin on the rocks at Palm Beach

Megan swinging on the big tree branch on Palm Beach

The monkeys were a twice a day occurrence at our wee beach flat

Megan and Kaylin playing in the pool

Megan riding the waves on her Boogie Board

Sandcastles

Sandcastles with Dad

My Three in the Sea

Kaylin riding the ways with her Boogie Board

The pathway from our beach flat down to Palm Beach

Fun in the car - a long 7 hour trip.


12 comments:

YeamieWaffles said...

You guys looked so incredibly excited in that pre-beach photo, all of the photos were cool in fact. Welcome home to South Africa and have a great Christmas as well!

Bouncin' Barb said...

What great pictures! Your parents are adorable together. Love your Mom posing too! Glad you got to spend quality time with them and they got to spend quality with the grandkids. As a grandparent I know there's nothing better. Great post!!

Betty Manousos@ Cut and Dry said...

what a delightful post!

lovely photos as well, looks like you all had a fabulous time!

wish you and your family a very merry xmas!

Dazee Dreamer said...

wow. warm weather. I'm a smidge jealous

Michael Offutt, Supra-Genius said...

Oh the warmth that exudes from those pictures. And I mean physical as well as emotional.

I'm stuck in the northern hemisphere with snow and 19 degrees F outside. It's terribly chilly and everything is dead and lifeless waiting for spring.

I'm so jealous.

For the record I'd never go in the ocean. Sharks eat people where you live all the time. Not trying to scare you but I just have to shake my head at anyone that goes in the water there in South Africa. I've heard way too many horror stories to know I am not going to be lunch. I'll stare from the beach.

Brian Miller said...

oh wow...what fun! hope you have a great holiday!

Mark said...

I'm glad that you got to cuddle your Mom.
And, I never noticed that you have a totally awesome rack. But to tell you truth, I'm really not a breast-man.
Merry Christmas.
m.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit with your mum and dad. Thanks for sharing the photos, Gillian.

Alistair said...

....and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

Looks like you had a great time. You have a lovely family by the look of those photos. {all three generations}

I know too what you mean about the accent getting stronger. My wife always commented on when we drove from edinburgh to Ayr that when we got to kirk o Shotts my accent changed completely.

Awra best for 2012 to you and yours.

Alistair.

G-Man said...

Jildo...
Those pics seems like such a distant memory now that there is snow on the ground.
You are such a COOL Chick!!!
Merry Christmas to You and Your beautiful family.

Melanie said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! I totally love the picture of your mom posing!!

Lovely Light said...

Your vacation (holiday) looked amazingly fun. I've never spent more than a few hours at a beach- I'd love to stay for several days!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails